ReachView 3 BLE Beta

Hello everyone!

Today I am super excited to share something we’ve been working on internally for quite a long time. We are introducing a new way to work with Reach – a Bluetooth Low Energy connection. This is an alternative connection type built right into ReachView 3.

Why use BLE?

Ease of use

One of the best features of the new BLE connection is that it’s dead simple to use. No client/hotspot modes, no pairing is required. You don’t need to remember what mode your Reach is in, just scan and connect.

New NTRIP over BLE correction input

No need to share Internet connection to your Reach. Use your phone’s mobile data to pass the NTRIP corrections to the receiver. It’s super easy!

It saves phone battery compared to using your phone as a hotspot. It’s a great workaround for countries where 3G is being taken down. Also, if you’ve had trouble using mobile data on your Android phone in Reach hotspot, that’s not going to be an issue with BLE.

NTRIP over BLE is available when you connect via BLE just like any other correction option. You can use your NTRIP profiles just like you do with the regular NTRIP connections.

ci

How to activate BLE

1. BLE is available on Reach RS2 and Reach RS+. You’ll need to upgrade your Reach RS2 or Reach RS+ to the latest beta firmware. 29 Beta 1, 29 Beta 2, and any future betas will work fine.

2. Go to Google Play or App Store and make sure you have the latest version of ReachView 3 installed. It’s good to have automatic app updates enabled, as we’re shipping new functionality regularly.

3. To enable BLE on ReachView 3 side, you need to find a secret switch. Well, not so secret anymore, but still :smiley:. To find that switch you need to tap on the profile icon in the bottom right corner really fast about 10 times (until the menu appears).

4. After you activate the BLE switch, reopen ReachView 3 and give the app Bluetooth permissions (it will ask for location permissions on Android).

Easily switch between BLE and WiFi

Once you’ve activated the secret switch, Reach RS2 and Reach RS+ will be available via both BLE and Wi-Fi, so you can just pick the preferred connection mode in the scanner. It may be useful, since logging and some of the settings are not available over BLE yet. Downloading logs will always work through Wi-Fi only.

In the example below, I’ve scanned the same Reach over both Wi-Fi and BLE. If you pick the one with IP address under the name, it’ll be a Wi-Fi connection, the one with “Bluetooth” under the name is the BLE connection.

How you can help us with this Beta

Well, just give it a try! Remember, this is in beta, so we do not recommend using it for actual work.

If there’s something you like or don’t like, leave a comment in this thread. Your feedback will help us release this to a wider audience. It’s also really helpful if you share diagnostics with us, here’s how to do that:

ci

Best regards,
Emlid team

30 Likes

BLE is available for M2?

2 Likes

Posted above

1 Like

Absolutely awesome feature @egor.fedorov, this is a game changer. Thanks everyone who worked on that.

14 Likes

Should be available for M2 and M+ too. Thanks

3 Likes

hello. will BLE option be available with software other than reachview? I’m using Surpad And there the Bluetooth connection is unstable with NTRIP work.

2 Likes

We had same issue here. Maybe too much work for the bluetooth hardware, NTRIP corrections + position output for Surpad app

1 Like

Thanks Florian!

2 Likes

Hi @geodezja-skwierzyna, @l3technologycambodia,

BLE is for ReachView 3 only.

Integration with 3rd-party software is still possible via a standard Bluetooth connection. And the recommended way for Android apps is mock location via the Lefebure app.

I saw both of you reported issues with SurPad, but couldn’t find if you tried Lefebure or not. If you tried and it doesn’t help, please create a separate thread or contact us at support@emlid.com.

1 Like

Hi @svetlana.nikolenko ,

BLE be available in the future for M+ and M2?

1 Like

Hi @JAGUERO ,

We plan to have it for Reach RS2 and Reach RS+ only.

3 Likes

can you suggest how to set up Surpad to work with Lefebure?

I haven’t had a chance to work with Surpad, but this is how it works in general: the Lefebure app receives position data from Reach and passes it to the Android mock location service. After that, all apps in the Android device that use location services will automatically have access to the precise position from Reach.

So, as I see this process, you don’t need to configure anything in Surpad. And you don’t even need to connect to Reach from Surpad.

want to note that we want to eliminate NTRIP from RS2 (poor GSM connection). my controller has to connect to NTRIP and then the patches must be sent to RS2 via bluetooth so it probably won’t be so easy to configure it under Lefebure. any suggestions?

1 Like

The NTRIP connection can be configured via Lefebure too. And then, you can set Reach to accept corrections via Bluetooth.

And just in case, with BLE, we also added the NTRIP over BLE feature. It uses Internet from your mobile device for NTRIP and passes corrections to Reach via BLE. So basically, you don’t need Reach to be connected to the Internet at all. This workflow doesn’t include Surpad, but I still think it may be useful for you.

2 Likes

I’be followed all the steps but I’m not seeing the devices show up as Bluetooth connections. Did I miss something?

1 Like

Hi @jaredplnormand,

Are your device on the latest Beta? Does it appear as a Wi-Fi connection?

I got it connected. I had to restart each receiver one more time. I wish I could connect to my data collector while streaming corrections from my phone via Bluetooth. I’ll need to look into other connections. Hopefully I can get my SmartNet SIM to work in my data collector tablet PC and stream corrections one way and position back the other way. Any tips on that?

You can use the NTRIP-over-BLE option to stream corrections to Reach any other way but regular Bluetooth to output position. For example, you can stream position via TCP if your app supports that.

UPD. Edited my post to remove misleading info