Emlid Reach RS3—new flagship GNSS receiver with tilt compensation

Hi @roger.itrans,
We’re open to integrations, and we’ve created an additional NMEA message with tilt information for that. But to make it work, the 3rd-party software provider should support our NMEA.

4 Likes

We don’t have such a list for external radios, but you can find some examples in the threads. I’ve found some here and here.

5 Likes

Hi.

Is there a recommended frequency and air data rate for the Rs3, with which LoRa radios achieve their best performance?

With the reach rs I used 928-9.11 and it worked very well. In the worst case I got fix to float but with the Rs3 they go from fix to single constantly.
I don’t understand why the Rs (Edison) can stay in float and the new Rs3 can’t.

1 Like

Hi everyone!

FieldGenius announced an update with the Reach RS3 support. If you are a FieldGenius user, it’s time to try the tilt compensation with your Reach RS3! We’d be glad to receive your feedback!

6 Likes

Need Windows version updated! Android is still WIP unlike Windows version.

2 Likes

Got it up and running with the rs3
It lags now when your taking a shot and shows the tolerance tab most times before it accepts the location and records it would this be to give the software time to run the routine
With the tilt compensation?

Can you tell me if Carlson survpc will support the RS3. If not could you enlighten me as to why not? Thanks

I can tell you that I am using an RS3 with Carlson Layout so I don’t see why SurvPC wouldn’t work.

I am running it through NMEA and tilt compensation does not work.

2 Likes

How much does Carlson Layout cost roughly? I like Microsurvey FieldGenius (FG) the best and more than SurvCe SurvPC, but noticed they released Layout which i guess runs on Android? Does it have Robotic Total Station support? FG for Android STILL does NOT. So use heavy Windows version. More graphical UI etc.

Seems like Carlson is a competitor to Emlid so prob hesitant to support Emlid products, including TILT support???

Microsurvey seems to be the most multi-brand friendly. I.e. Leica, Emlid, etc. (Trimble made them remove support for their products).

2 Likes

The last rover setup I bought was in November. Layout with 3rd party receiver support was $2,000USD plus $1100 for the CT8x2 tablet but you can use any android tablet I believe.

Layout does support total stations. It’s quite easy to use and great for laying out lots of points. We use it for laying out blast patterns in mines so it’s been great for that.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Reach RS3 6 cm accuracy

Did I understand correctly that you mean when the Carlson SurvPC will support the tilt compensation message? Here’s a link to the NMEA message our development team has created to support tilt compensation on a 3rd party software. As Zoltan mentioned, we’re open to the collaboration. For the tilt message to work, software or applications should support this message from their side as well.

2 Likes

@kseniia.suzdaltseva Hi, you could add the function of calculating the intersection of hidden points using the phone’s gyroscope on the Emlid Flow app (example X-TILT of X-PAD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iunkmck1ew)

The feature would be useful for reach RS2.

Hi @step,

Request to support Intersections noted. However, using the phone’s gyroscope can’t guarantee the accuracy we want our users to have, so we introduced the RS3.

3 Likes

I do not have an RS3 to test the tilt with SurvPC. However, I have used an RS2 in NMEA mode with great results.

Depending on your version, SurvPC 6 & 7 should support the ublox ZED-F9P directly. I do not know if those implementations support the tilt. If I have some time, I can test it with ZED-F9P mode with my RS2. That does not help with the tilt question, but it’s the best I can offer with my current equipment.

In my experience and of those I have talked to, all of the Android data collector software is poor in its total station support.

Yes, they are : /

Windows FieldGenius is the absolute best. It does not support Trimble total stations as Trimble removed that support from Microsurvey. Really old Windows versions do though before the support was ripped away.

Microsurvey FieldGenius for Android will hopefully soon support Robotic Total Stations (which they said a good while back), but currently only bare minimum manual total stations which isn’t squat.

It’s taking F O R E V E R for them to implement this into their Android version.

I will keep using the Windows version until then or if they unfortunately kill the Windows version which would be catastrophic. I sure hope not, it’s great!

The ONLY thing i like about these Android routes, is the tablets are lighter, less power hungry, cheaper, many purchasing options. But if the software is limited or unfinished… then it’s not worth crap. Then many may be forced to just go Leica or Trimble complete turn key set ups that has everything nailed down since day one. $$$$$$

But the beauty of FieldGenius for Windows, is a much better option cost wise. I hope Microsurvey doesn’t go backwards like many do these days.

3 Likes

The Trimble Android solution is not all that much better. In total station mode, it cannot currently “dump the scope” (ie. direct and reverse angles) per the people I have talked to.

Hello @Emlid- My understanding from this thread is that tilt correction is done in software, e.g. by Flow or Field Genius, using the ETC sentences ($GNETC), correct?

My application involves storing GGA NMEA messages output via BT or serial port for later mapping. I understand that that these GGA messages are not tilt corrected and that may not be coming any time soon, if ever. My data collection software is not set up to look at or store anything other than the GGA sentences.

My question: As a workaround to the above, is there any way to capture the full NMEA output, including both GGA and ETC, and save it to a log file for me to use later, by computing the offset from the saved ETC parameters? Or perhaps stream out to both a serial port and to BT at the same time?

Thanks

In Reach 32 Beta you can now option compensated GGA. It does work but the catch is you won’t know if tilt has dropped out unless you correlate with the ETC State & Notification fields.

Details here: Reach Firmware 32 Beta 3 is out - News - Emlid Community Forum

6 Likes