Emlid Reach RS3—new flagship GNSS receiver with tilt compensation

Answered here

1 Like

never again emlid

Whats that

2 Likes

Is there a reason the corrected position can’t be output in the GGA message? I mean what’s the point of putting incorrect data into that message?

The NMEA data is typically the GNSS position of the antenna phase center. In order to be able to use tilt compensated data downstream a few things need to happen:

1. The receiver needs to know what is the current antenna height, which is not relevant for a normal NMEA output, but for tilt compensation this is a must. Which means that this is a separate configuration that needs to be taken care of and it can’t happen in the downstream app as it might not be ready to make the required calculations.
  2. The consumer of the data needs to be ready to send additional feedback to the user on the status of the tilt compensation, as it might not always be available depending on the current status of the receiver.

These are some engineering and intergation challenges that we need to overcome to be able to output the compensated position to 3rd party consumers. We want to do this, but it has not been a priority for the product launch, as we were focused on data collection and stake out.

What kind of application do you have in mind for tilt compensated GGA?

2 Likes

Hi, if I might join in on that: a possible application would be the positioning of geophysical carts in sloped areas. The GNSS antenna usually sits a bit higher on the cart and in such cases the position would be wrong. Hence, tilt compensated GGA would be great to feed into one of such systems.

3 Likes

@igor.vereninov thanks. In terms of antenna height I envisaged that this would simply be an input during setup of the survey session. For instance this is done to select a third party NTRIP caster - I’m assuming there would be no reason that the appropriate antenna height couldn’t be relayed to the receiver in a similar fashion. This would also be the time that tilt compensation was enabled/disabled and also the time that tilt functionality was confirmed (just like “receiving corrections” confirms receipt of NTRIP data).

1 Like

It would be great for 3rd party agriculture equipment.

2 Likes

Hi Kseniia.

Can I insert a 5g sim card into the Rs3’s LTE modem?

2 Likes

If its anything like here, your 5G sim should work on LTE as well.

3 Likes

Can you share what that could look like would it be late quarter 2023? Or is it in micro survey
Hands to work on and respond?

2 Likes

Thank you.

Curious… what exactly are the “channels” for and what do they do or provide? Is a channel per satellite? Is it per frequency? i.e. GPS sats would have 2 channels L1 & L2 each?

Thanks!

EDIT:
Found some good info:
The State of GNSS Receiver Tracking Channels & Satellite Constellations in Orbit (trimble.com)

1 Like

You have blocked me on FB and are ignoring me, very childish indeed.

Why did you say tilt was on the roadmap for RS2 when you apparently didn’t have any intention on delivering that?

Se image below!

A roadmap is never a promise, technical issues can be identified down the road, priorities can change.

There is no promise in the message you screenshotted.

4 Likes

Perhaps I missed it, but is there a list of tested and or acceptable ~400mhz range external UHF radios that will work with an Emlid product (ie. RS2/23) and transmit corrections to a non-Emlid product (ie. Trimble, Topcon, etc.)? Or is this a radio product that Emlid now sells? I would be happy to buy it from them if they have done the work to make this possible.

3 Likes

Is there any sort of ETA when the RS3 will be added to Field Genius?

4 Likes

Hi @buttersnaps!

Welcome to our community!

We don’t have an ETA for when we’ll be able to complete this integration, but I can tell you that it’s in the works!

4 Likes

@Jaccen We don’t have a list for these kinds of products, but our Reach RS3 is compatible with 450 MHz radios. But please note that it requires a UHF antenna to get the correction.
I understand that purchasing a UHF radio from us would be the most convenient option, but Emlid does not currently sell them.

1 Like

If you guys don’t open it to other apps, you are going to continue loosing a Lot of more sales, few weeks ago that stopped us from buying several units for the company and went for another option that supports apps like SurPad.
we are soon buying more units for more survey teams we need to set up, if you solve this, we definitely go with the RS3! It’s up to you guys,

Chinese products are big competition, and the gnss products are not an exception,

We have been using RS2+ and M2 for a while, and are happy with them, but now we want the tilt compensation option to use with SurPad,

About Surpad, it would be a plus if Emlid receivers could be configured also in the app SurPad, like many other ones, or that it gives more information apart from coordinates and solution status, like base information.

2 Likes

Can you please send a list of options for external radios that are tested to work with RS2 (or M2) to set it a a base for other brands that works with UHF ~415 radios, witch is very common

1 Like