What to use to pass corrections from Reach base to Reach rover: Emlid Caster or LoRa radio?

When you have your Reach base and Reach rover, you can set up a real-time correction link over Emlid Caster or LoRa radio. But which method suits you better? This is indeed a good thing to think about.

First, there’s one condition of use for Emlid Caster that will clear up your doubts pretty fast—you’ll need to provide both units with an internet connection. If you cannot do this at your place, there’s no other way than to use a setup over LoRa radio. By the way, we have a video course on that.

Okay, suppose there are no issues with the Internet; what should be considered further to decide between two things? And the answer is environmental conditions that may significantly affect your setup. It’s worth noting that LoRa radio requires a line of sight and an absence of radio interference.

As you see, the main things to consider are the availability of the Internet in the area of your interest and environmental conditions. How often do you have to choose between these setup methods? Share your cases in the comments below!

P.S. In case you missed it, in our previous post, we looked at the difference between collecting points in RTK and Stop & Go with Emlid Flow (formerly known as ReachView 3).

14 Likes

I am based in a rural location in an area where internet can be tricky, which is one of the reasons that I went for a LoRa base and rover system. So far, my experience of LoRa has been very positive and with appropriate base selection on high ground it appears to suit hilly countryside very well.

6 Likes

Hi Neill,

Welcome to the community forum!

Great example. Thank you for sharing it :slight_smile:

1 Like

thanks, my issue has been fixed.

Hello,
I am curious to know what would be the ideal and maximum distance if I were to use Emlid Caster to transmit corrections between base and rover. Especially if I use no NTRIP services, just relative corrections from base.

Thanks!
Anne-Marie

For multi-frequency GNSS like the RS2, you should optimally be within 15-20 km from the base, if the precision of the height-component is important to you. If not, you can go out to 30 km.

For single frequency, I would stay under 5-7 km at all times.

2 Likes

Hi there,

This topic is pretty old, but I wanted to add a small note here.

I agree with Christian, and overall, it’s better to work with a lower baseline if possible. The maximum values in RTK are 10 km for single-band devices and 60 km for multi-band ones.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.