Increase baseline when working with LoRa

Hi,

This is Rathod from India

I have reach RS2 and facing issue in redio mode actually this device not getting range,getting only 1 to 1.5Km

This is important for me because where we have work there no Internet so.

Please suggest how to solve this issue and how to get atleast 3 to 5km range in Radio

1 Like

You might have a look at a couple discussions already on the Emlid’s Forum.

And here is the search link I used:
https://community.emlid.com/search?q=external%20radios

Hope it helps you!

2 Likes

Hi Rathod,

LoRa baseline can hit up to 8km but it really depends on the environmental conditions. 8km is possible on the line-of-sight when there are no obstacles between base and rover.

Can you describe your worksite? Is there any objects between base and rover? Maybe buildings or trees.

Hi,

I understood, yes some obstacles between base and rover ate location but some time not available internet some places for that we need to work in Lora this device given range only 1 km

if possible any solution for this then it will give atleast 3 to 4 km

because we work in lora actually we don’t have internet some places.

1 Like

Hi Rathod,

What constellations (GPS, GLO, GAL, BDU) are you transmitting over Lora? And what is your Lora air data rate? The more data you are transmitting, the shorter the range. My experience is also about 1km when I am using all constellations. If you want to get maximum range you need to transmit a minimum number of messages. Antenna location at 0.1Hz and GPS (legacy) at 0.5Hz with all other messages off should give you maximum range. (Make sure to set the Lora air data rate to as low as possible and match it on the rover). The converse of that is you will have less available satellites so you will need better sky view or more occupation time and may need to mission plan in advance to check PDOP. If you need more satellites, you could add GAL at 0.5Hz and that might give you a medium range.

1 Like

Frankly, aside from @Africawaterdoc’s suggestions, you need an external, more powerful radio. 1km is already close to the maximum usable range that I’ve seen for normal operations.

There is also the possibility to work in PPK.

1 Like

Hi Rathod,

I like @Africawaterdoc suggestion about lowering the Air Data rate. You can try that. Also, Gabriel’s words about PPK or more powerful radio make sense.

LoRa is a low-powerful radio, so obstacles really affect the range. Mark previously shared some posts about choosing an external radio for Reach.

If you decide to go with PPK, take a look at our Stop & Go with ReachView 3 guide. It will give some understanding about the workflow.

1 Like

Is there any way to use some kind of radio signal repeater to increase the range of LoRa?

1 Like

Hi Mauricio,

I think it’s possible to find almost everything, but we usually don’t recommend using repeaters. It’s a modification, which require much effort and not necessarily lead to the results you want.

LoRa is just not for cases where you have a lot of obstacles blocking the line-of-sight. It’s better to use Emlid Caster or external radio on such sites.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.