Does Reach RS2+ external port support simultaneous base output and powering?

Hi,

CURRENT TESTING SETUP
I am currently using the Reach RS2+ as a permanent base station for multiple Reach M2 modules. The corrections from RS2+ are sent via long range L-Band SDRs to the M2 Modules.

Currently, I have setup the RS2+ to give base output via USB-C to a laptop. The laptop first reads the RTCM messages and then sends them to the network using the L-Band SDR (It is a IP module and has a RJ45 ethernet port. It acts like a normal wifi router and assigns DHCP Ip addresses to devices connected to its RJ45 port). This setup is working fine for testing purposes.

FINAL DEPLOYMENT SETUP
Now I want to deploy the RS2+ as a fixed base for up to 5-6+ years. I plan on using the external connector for powering and turning the RS2+ on/off.

Now I need a reliable and robust method to transfer the corrections from RS2+ to the L-Band SDR. Having a dedicated laptop/computer (like in my testing setup) is not feasible. I need some way to connect the RS2+ and my L-Band SDR.

I did some research and found two possible options:-

Option 1: Use a RS232 to ethernet adapter
I want to recieve base output via the RS232 protocol in the external bottom connector. There are several adapters which read RS232 messages and transmit them via ethernet. They can be configured to work on TCP/UDP. I have previously used them for another project and they work flawlessly.

My only concern is that does the external connector support charging/powering while simultaneously sending output corrections via RS232? As I would have to modify the cable provided by Emlid. I would be effectively merging the GND pin of the power supply and GND pin of the DB9 cable I am using for RS232 communication.

I would have tested it myself but unfortunately I do not have cable with me (I only have the RS2+ and M2 :confused:) and the shipping to time to my location is very high. I am hoping to the feasibility before I invest the time to wait for the cable.

I would highly appreciate if someone from the community who has access to this cable and RS2+ could test and let me know.

Option 2: Use a USB-C to Ethernet adapter
I stumbled upon this thread Supported USB to Ethernet Adapters for M2 and RS2.

If I understand correctly I have to use a compatible USB-C to Ethernet adapter to connect with a wifi router. Then, the wifi router should automatically assign a DHCP IP address to the emlid device. Then I will be able to use the TCP Client or TCP Server base output of the RS2+ to recieve corrections over the network.

I found one cheap ethernet adapter using the Asix AX88772B chipset. I connected to the RS2+ using the adapter but for some reason I never get an actual IP address assigned to Emlid. I tested connecting via my Laptop, Wifi Router and the SDR (It acts like a typical wifi router while assigning DHCP address)

This is not an ideal solution for me as I do not trust the reliability of either the USB-C connection or the cheap USB-to-ethernet adapters to work for several years.

1 Like

Hi Nilesh,

Do I understand correctly that you want to power the device and provide Internet using Ethernet simultaneously? Reach can only provide one of those at the same time. It’s a limitation from the hardware side.

We have tested TP-Link UE200 with M2 and were able to send and receive corrections via the Internet (so the device was connected to the Internet), but you need to power the device additionally (through a USB-C port, for example).

Is it possible to insert a SIM card into the Reach device to provide it with the Internet? You can set up a static IP on the RS2+ as well.

Hi Olesia,

Yes you have understood correctly. There is a slight correction though, I am not looking to connect the RS2+ to the internet. I am only looking to connect it to my local network so that it can communicate to the other devices present on the network. Hence, the SIM card is not useful for our application.

Thanks for the clarification, I will be using the external connector for powering the Reach RS2+

Does the TP-Link UE200 work with Reach RS2+ ?

Nilesh,

USB-C ports on Reach can’t work as a power source and OTG simultaneously, so I’m not sure they will work even if you’re trying to connect to the local network.

We have tested only M2 on the 28.2 firmware so I can hardly comment about work with RS2+.

In your case, I’d suggest powering using an external bottom connector, and connecting to other devices via TCP. Does TCP connection work for you?

TCP does work. The problem is how to get the RS2+ connected to out IP SDR. As mentioned they work similarly like a wifi module.

I need some physical method of taking data from USB-C of rs2+ to the rj45 connector of the sdr.

Try this option, everything works flawlessly for me.

Nilesh,

It’s difficult to tell if such a custom setup will work. Maybe some users who have experience will share it. It can also depend on the device you use: for example, On Mac/Linux, you can connect to the device using a USB-C port (using 192.168.2.15), but we haven’t tested such a setup with a USB-C to Ethernet adapter.

Will work on this. Once I figure out the best and most reliable method of making RS2+ a permanent base station, I will revert. Thanks.

1 Like

I have already found it. You will not find a better way than this, do not waste time, believe me, everything works very reliably. I wish you good luck.