Alternative Software choice

Thanks Tim, I am going to pull the trigger on a used Dell Lattitude for $600. I think that will work perfectly for the FG Windows. I have a Trimble S6 and unfortunately FG does not work with that . So I will stay with the TSC3 and use them separately :slight_smile: Thanks again for your reply.

1 Like

Best tablet ever !

3 Likes

Curious… probably not… but does the Trimble software on the TSC3 support NMEA devices? So you could use your Emlid equipment with it? Going to assume the Trimble software ONLY communicates with its equipment only but figured I’d ask.

Yeah, Trimble stopped any sort of support with their equipment to work with FieldGenius years ago. Leica / Geomax has not.

1 Like

I tried that about a year or so ago and I had no luck. I just wanted to pair the RS2 to the TSC3 so that I could use the GPS for tracking the prism when it got lost. I have the MT1000 but having the RS2 paired to my TSC3 would have made tracking a sweet setup. But no dice.

1 Like

That is a decent price too! I already ordered a used one but if that ends up being a fail, I will keep this one on the list to look at. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Does Micro Survey Field Genius for Windows Support the Emlid RS2+ and RS3?
I thought only Android did.

1 Like

Windows version supports Emlid Reach RS natively only…which probably is just NMEA which it also supports NMEA seperately too. Works fine.

Microsurvey still has not updated FieldGenius for native RS2/RS+ support for Windows, but doesn’t really need to, but would add more confidence I guess? RS3 still not added yet either and MOST IMPORTANTLY the TILT support. So yes, Android does have them. Doesn’t seem Emlid was specific enough with them to add TILT support for Windows. Should be done either way. I would contact them about it. They seem to be putting the Windows version on the backburner as they are obviously moving towards Android… but personally until Android has Robotic Total Station support, I cannot use it. You will notice that the Android feature is still unfinished feature-wise. So it depends on what you need.

You can download their free demos here to test your equipment. 30 point limit, but fully functional.

Website under construction.

MicroSurvey Release History and Downloads Links - MicroSurvey (kayako.com)

MicroSurvey FieldGenius 11.6.0.781 Download Page - MicroSurvey (kayako.com)

FieldGenius for Android Installations - MicroSurvey

I went with Feild Genius for Android, because the entire Industry is moving to Android, Leica just came out with an Android tablet for their stuff. releasing in 2024 first quarter. I’m using an Emlid RS2 and a Leica GS14 GNSS receiver. and a Leica TS07 Total Station. So the Android version is good for me, but I am sure soon it will support robotic TS

2 Likes

Not sure if u already bought it, but @ankrila may still have some FG Android for sale??? Not sure if Perpetual or 1 year subscription?

1 Like

I got that message too. Its no concern IMO. I tried SurPad with the 30 day trial, and decided that it will be sufficient for all my GNSS needs, the price is very affordable.

1 Like

Hey guys is there any alternative for iOS?

Hello, I have tested all of these alternative softwares (FieldGenius, SurPad, and TcpGPS) and they all have an absolutely essential function that is the ability to define parameters for point collection. The latest GNSSs are very easy to get FIX, even in difficult conditions, but they are often false FIX. Therefore, it is essential to be able to parameterize a minimum number of satellites, a minimum pdop, the minimum horizontal StdDev, the minimum vertical StdDev, and the minimum age of corrections for the user to be able to collect the point with confidence. The suggestion is for Emlid to urgently implement this set of rules for point collection, because it is very important that points with significant errors are not collected. See the image below of this functionality in the FieldGenius software.

tolerancia

7 Likes

I absolutely agree with you!

1 Like

Thanks for the requests @sara.aguiar and @400gon.srl!

We have a collect rules support in our roadmap. We’re currently researching the topic and don’t yet have the final set of collect rules we will implement. There’s no ETA to share at the moment, but I’ll let you know as soon as there are any updates.

8 Likes

Hi,
We use GeoPad from SBG together with all brands of GNSS and total stations (except Trimble, unfortunately). GeoPad fieldSW and Geo officeSW covers all we need as surveyors. It is expresive but still half the price to Leica/Trimble SW.
I have worked with GeoPad for a long time and the RS2 for 3 years now and I am impressed and content with the performance. Looking forwars to test the RS3.

3 Likes

Hi @bengt.eliasson,

Welcome to the forum! Can you tell me which features in the GeoPad interest you the most?

1 Like

Hi Olesia,
I have been working as a surveying consultant for +40yrs. Over the years we have done pretty much everything there is to do in surveying and the combination Geo-GeoPad (and GeoRog- nowadays known as Leica Icon) has all the features you need to fulfill various tasks.
We use GeoPad to Leica GNSS+totalstation, Topcon GNSS+totalstation, Sokkia GNSS+totalstation, all GNSS that can provide a NMEA-string as Emlid and most brands.
The combination is seamless as the formats are identical in Geo and Geopad- no conversion. We have used dropbox for Geopad for 9+ years so we do not need to communicate between Geo and GeoPad, it is just to drag&drop. All field-tablets has SIM-card and teamviewer so it is easy to support our younger colleagues where ever they are.
We do network, roads, tunnels, IMS, as-builds, bridges, rail-roads and more, everything with the same SW, and since 3 years ago, also with Emlid. We are very impressed with RS2+ and will now test RS3 with Beta version 32.
Sorry for the long answer…

5 Likes

Thank you for the detailed answer and kind words! Let us know how testing with RS3 Beta version 32 works.

2 Likes

Ciao, sto valutando l’idea di acquistare lo stesso programma per sostituire il Tpad ti stai trovando bene? ci sono delle impostazioni particolari da settare?
grazie mille

Ciao, sto valutando l’idea di acquistare lo stesso programma per sostituire il Tpad ti stai trovando bene? ci sono delle impostazioni particolari da settare?
grazie mille