Wifi password reset and 'connection timed out'

Hi @chiz ,

Let me comment on the issues you’ve experienced below.

As has been already pointed out, the default password for the Reach’s hotspot is emlidreach. You can check it in our online documentation. You can also change the default password to any you prefer in the Wi-Fi tab of the ReachView app.

Good to know you were able to connect to the receiver! We’ll add the info about turning off the mobile data prior to connecting to the hotspot to the docs.

Thanks for noticing it! We’ll fix the link shortly.

All of the network scanning utilities can be found in the First Setup guide.

To find out Reach’s IP in the network, you can use the ReachView app or one of the following utilities:

This mainly depends on your OS and the smartphone. Usually, on Android devices, it’s more likely you will find the survey file in My Files/Downloads or in My Files/Internal Storage/Download folders. You can find more information about downloading files from the ReachView app in our online guide.

As Michael has mentioned, this might be due to the fact that Windows suggests entering the PIN from the router label to connect to the network. Please choose Connect using a security key instead option. Then it should be possible to enter the emlidreach password of the hotspot.

This and other tips on how to connect to the hotspot of the Reach receiver can be found in our Quickstart guides: First Setup and How to download files from Reach.

We usually reply within one workday as stated on our website. However, it might take longer to understand the issue.

You can connect the receiver to the hotspot of your device. Then, you can use the mobile network on your phone and connect to the receiver without switching between the networks.

You can find out more about using your phone’s hotspot with the Reach receiver in the Setting up Wi-Fi section of our First Setup guide.

Would you mind describing the issue in more detail? Have you collected all 50 points in one survey project? Do I understand correctly that you can’t access the project in the ReachView app? How many points are there in the exported project?

Could you please share the firmware version that you’re device is running on? You can check it in the upper right corner of the ReachView app next to the battery charge level.

2 Likes

thank you Polina, sorry for delay, a colleague was using the Reach the last 3 days and I have to finish a report by end of day.

Glad the documentation is being updated so quickly, that is great, hoepfully will help others avoid the trauma.

As a general point, the documentation is pretty good if everything is going well, but if for some reason things don’t go as they should, it is quite hard to get back on track. Maybe I am missing the trouble shooting section?

One thing I have noticed is that although you connect to the Base hotspot initially, you then need to connect to the Rover to start surveying. This seems to occasionally happen automatically, but not always. And when you tap back to select Rover from the hotspot list, it is listed as Base, even though it is the Rover…

Firmware is 2.16.2
Connected Reach to my PC, don’t seem to be able to have internet at same time.

I have found the survey data on the Rover, might be worth adding that you download off the Rover, not Base unit.
I’ve exported survey as a shapefile, and imported into a QGIS project which is in OSGB1936 with ‘on the fly’ transformation turned on. I have Ordnance Survey mapping (OSGB1936) and the survey data is approximately in correct position, but the transformation is not quite correct, any idea how to transform the survey data to match?
thanks

COnnected Reach to PC via hotspot of wifi? If PC hotspot to Reach and you can have wired and wireless network active then try changing the priority to see if the PC will then use the wired for internet.

Yes, why would the base have the points if the rover shot them?

Were the two surveys done exactly the same off the same control network? Is there a shift or a scale factor in the CAD file or other design file that the points/map came from?

‘why would the base have the points if the rover shot them?’
Why not? I set up the survey project when connected to Base, so why wouldn’t it be on there? Plus the two units talk to each other, so again, why not?
Please don’t assume that everyone understands it all as well as you do. As I’ve said, the documentation is often fine when you are in the right place, but isn’t great for getting back on track.
I’ve helped with a fair few beta tests of technology and the coders assuming that somehow people know what they mean is a major cause of problems.

I don’t have wired internet, I am using my phone internet during lockdown

Not quite sure I follow you there. The OS mapping is our national mapping and I did a survey with Emlid and compared the two, so not same control points, although I took points on features that were on the OS mapping. There’s approx 5m error when imported to QGIS and compared to the Ordnance Survey mapping. The mapping is Cartesian, the GPS is longitudinal. There will be an error, but there should be a transformation or way to fix this, Possibly something to do with Haversine formulae?

Thanks

Hi @chiz,

To avoid having to switch between the hotspots of base and rover, you can connect both receivers to the same network as described in this guide. In the field, it can be your phone’s hotspot.

We usually recommend working with the latest firmware versions as they contain important fixes that might be crucial for the correct unit’s performance. Currently, the latest version is v2.22.4.

You need to connect your PC to the Wi-Fi network with an Internet connection and connect your receiver to the same network. This way, you’ll be able to access the receiver via the PC and also use the Internet on the PC.

Would you mind elaborating on it? Do I understand correctly that you compare the results imported from the Reach receiver with the results from the previous survey with Reach?

Blockquote Currently, the latest version is v2.22.4
I thought Emlid updated/told you if needed an update when it turned on?

Re survey: Same set of kit used to do 2 separate surveys at 2 separate sites. Imported both site surveys into QGIS. Compared both surveys to Ordnance Survey mapping and both surveys were out by approx 5m. I understand this is a transformation issue going from Lat/Long to Cartesian coords.

what I’m after is how to post-process Lat/Long survey data so I can convert it to Cartesian EPSG27700, OSGB1936 British National Grid
thanks

Hi @chiz,

While using the 7-parameter Helmert transformation for coordinates conversion, the accuracy will indeed be +/- 5 meters. As I understand, to achieve the accuracy of up to 1 meter, there is a need to use the OSTN02 transformation which is not easily compatible with the majority of GIS.

I’ve found the following examples of users’ workarounds for this transformation with GIS:

Hopefully, this information will help you achieve more accurate results.

1 Like

@chiz,

Let me correct myself.

The most recent transformation is OSTN15. OSTN15, in combination with the ETRS89 coordinates of the OS Net stations, define the National Grid since August, 2016.

OSTN15 transformation is available in ArcGIS and it’s possible to work with it in QGIS.

In ReachView 3 beta, the OSTN15 transformation is now available. We’ll add the OSGM15 geoid shortly. Please make sure that during the survey you set the base coordinates in ETRS89.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.