Wandering Fix

Wow! What a fantastic comprehensive response. When I saw your harrowed field I got homesick. I miss the prairies…

Got it and understand why.

Hmmmm, I had trouble with a low mask at the base. There is a forest to the west and a house to the south. I set the mask based on an angle measurement to clear them. I’ll try a few other settings over the weekend. Does the rover really have to be the same as the base? Can it be a lower angle? And if so, what happens if the rover finds a good satellite at a low angle but doesn’t get a correction for that Satelite from the base?

I don’t plan to move the base at all other than back and forth from the house to its location at the top of my lamp post. But the wife wants a clothes line, so I may move it to the top of a clothes line post if that works out. However, I tried higher data rates and the fix loses reliability for some reason. But I’ll try it again now that the ground plane is installed.

OK, I’ll kill corrections for Beidou. Frankly, I’m not sure why I had it set to send corrections for anything but GPS & GLONASS.

Ya, I had the same issue with this as for the baud rate. For some reason the volume of data seems to choke my system. That’s why I disabled everything but GPS & GLONASS. I’ll try it again with the ground plane.

So beautiful…

I hear you… I did have problems with the program at faster update speeds anyway. It started throwing triangles instead of a path. I might even slow that down some more. I am old and slow… I won’t really know what I can follow until I actually try. It was all way faster than me today.

Actually, I have a nearby monument and I used that to establish a good fix for the base. See my other thread on establishing base coordinates. Establishing a base coordinate without a reference

Bottom line is that I created a corrected manual input by comparing my rover to the monument actual. So my fields should all be good both year-to-year and true to actual accurate Lat/Lon and I should be able to survey with it too.

In summary, I’ll play with your suggestions to get as close to them as I can and let you know how it goes. With the ground plane in place, it may turn out to be easier than I fear.

Thanks again!

I sure do love your farm…

2 Likes