Using 3DR radio for Base-Rover communication

To check the radios on your computer you need to plug them in computer’s USB port. ReachView is actually running on Reach, so you need to use the browser to access it via network.

I ran into issues using a couple of 3DR radios for corrections and I am pretty green to this but I have a working hardware setup and made a YouTube video showing wiring and settings in Reachvhview. Suggestions and questions are welcome.

Hope this helps others get past basic hookup issues.

I used two 3DR style “air units” hooked to the UART port on the Emlid and powered both units from the micro USB port so I am not mixing USB OTG and Serial on the setups. I chose to power the Emlids from micro USB because that is easy and reliable and I am not making cables for power and risking an incorrect power hookup to the Emlid units which would be a very expensive mistake. Both Emlid units are configured for serial at 57600 baud to match the radios as you will see in the video on YouTube.

There are MANY MANY variations in the 3DR clone radios… connectors vary, pinouts of the connectors vary.

By the way, I use these radios for drones and I made sure the radios were talking to each other prior to using them for this using my drone and Mission Planner and a ground unit (USB port connected) in a laptop. There are many channels possible on these radios (worth noting if you happen to be trying to use multiple pairs of RTK units near each other and they may interfere…) and they should come on the default channel and just work, but we have a few of us flying drones so we switch the channels on them and I wanted to make sure I grabbed two that were on the same channel. Not an issue if you buy two and they are the only two around.

Here are radios similar to the ones I used (these are probably the exact ones I am using as I have purchased many from goodluckbuy.com):

Here are some that are very different… Most should work if you get the Tx to Rx and Rx to Tx right (and power and ground obviously)

2 Likes

I have experience with more then 5 units success configured with different 3DR clones.
But I find that there is a problem with UART - UART connection of this 3DR clone:
https://community.emlid.com/uploads/default/original/2X/2/2a2aecce3ab999c7caca33ef41593365efa7e128.jpg
When it connected by UART - I see only red LED on 3DR and telemetry does not work of course.
I’ve tried different configuration of the 3DR with no success.

There is only possibility to use this model as USB-OTG connection variant for Rover and Base.
So I don’t recommend to use such 3DR clone.

hello, I had a similar problem of not working the pairing of radios, I noticed that in the ‘’ BASE MODE ‘’ regardless of which input and output of correction should be UART make it workable the communication part.

on the other hand that I ask your help to try to put my rtk emlid reach kit to work, the radio is as I said earlier GROUND USB and ROVER PINOS, that is, UART, they seem to be communicating, but the gray bars do not appear . clicking on the link you can see my questioning I can not use the 3dr through the USB / OTG port can help me see what I’m doing wrong…