RTK under trees in wintertime?

Is it possible to get some good Reach RTK fixes in wintertime under a deciduous tree canopy with centimeter level accuracy? I’ve read on some other forums it’s very unlikely under evergreens such as pines, but I don’t know on average how often or how long I could keep any fix under deciduous tree canopies in the winter. Anybody know?

Thanks.

1 Like

It is a lot to expect to get a fix under canopy. With the leaves off of the trees it is better, but still you will want to spend a lot of time at logging at each point and then expect to spend time at the computer inspecting each plot to decide if there is a definite grouping of fixes within a few centimeters or just a multi-meter hodgepodge of erroneous fixes.

See this thread.

1 Like

I also want to use Reach RTK in the forest. I would be happy to get 1-2m. What to you think?

I have heard that a multipath rejection antenna i very helpful. I have done a search and the choke ring antenna sound perfekt. The problem is that these antennas start around 600€ and there are no “do it yourself” guides in the net.

regards
Franz

The best advice is to try it and see how well you do. The only way to get better is a multi-frequency GPS and that will cost you a lot more.

I am looking for centimeter accuracy in what I am doing and you can see here what lengths I go to to get it in the forest. If your trees are short enough then this will work for you too, but if you don’t need that kind of precision then maybe you are happy with “float” status instead of “fix” and that will be error-corrected and still better than a single GPS.

1 Like

Hi bide,

nice setup. I want more a 2m stick where I can mark trees in a minute and map a tractor track in 10 minutes by walking along the track…

You are right I will see it in a few weeks when I have received the kit!

regards
Franz