Reach M2 and IMU data: Getting started

Hi, I’m just starting in the GNSS, positioning and RTK field. I got 2 Reach M2 units and want to clarify some things about the unit, and especially the IMU capabilities, so I have these questions:

Getting the IMU data has been of interest for at least 4 years (see posts below). I wonder if there is a date/target to provide this feature.

I will try to get this working, document and share any progress. Any comment is really appreciated, Thanks.

Gustavo.

Some related links:

2016 post: IMU data from Reach Kit - #30 by bakalolo
2017 post: Getting IMU data - #5 by behart
2019 post: IMU data from Reach M+: State of art?
ROS node: Files · master · Antoine RICHARD / IMU_REACH_M · GitLab
IMU test: GitHub - erlerobot/erle-brain-2-imu: Erle-Brain 2 IMU test code
EmlidIMU Guide: GitHub - 87yj/EmlidIMU: Configuration and Programs for activating IMU data on Emlid Reach

2 Likes

Hi Gustavo,

Welcome to our community forum!

As you’ve noted, the IMU functionality is not implemented at the moment. However, All current Reach devices are equipped with the IMU. The support of this functionality is on our roadmap, but I’m afraid I can’t really provide you with ETAs at the moment.

We’ve enabled access to the IMU data via the SPI. You can try making use of this data if you are an experienced Linux developer but I’m afraid I will not be able to guide you through the further steps.

Hi @artem.fomenko, thanks for your reply. Regarding my specific questions, it is not clear to me yet if the IMU unit in the Reach M2 is the same MPU-9250 and if the IMU data is already used/fused in any way, even though it is nor available? Thanks.

Hi Gustavo,

The IMU details are available in this post. Reach M2 uses the same IMU as the RS2.

2 Likes

Hi @gustavovelascoh,

I’ve got RTIMULib working with the new IMU-chip. You can find current progress in my fork I still need to clean up some makefiles/compiler settings and update readme. But basic calibration/usage is working.

I don’t know what your plans are with the IMU, but if it’s fusing GPS+IMU i’m interested too. (but I’m not that experienced with IMU, so no idea if the current accuracy would result in some benefits).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.