NTRIP RTK Cost

How much would you be willing to pay for a formal NTRIP annually?

Here in Pennsylvania we have an extremely incredible deal. It covers many states and they do a special plan for drone service providers at $1000 a year.

2 Likes

For charged services most run $750 to $1000/ year but that is normally for 1 connection. If you have multiple they do a price reduction but not enough in my opinion.

Which service? The only pay for service I have used is Digifarm

2 Likes

What type of accuracies did you get using digifarm?

Mind you I do not post process. I am more interested in verticle accuracy for automatic grade control on tile plows and other machines. As far as verticle accuracy as good as a base in the field.

Good people, very good service. I know one of the owners.

Sounds like I need to work these guys down… $2k/year. The time savings alone would pay for that many times over, but it also introduces an unknown workflow of how to relate surveys back to localized control networks

Our state RTN here in SC, Is $600/year, $50/month but it’s an annual subscription. It’s operated by the SC Geodetic Survey. Have you contacted your state geodetic agency ? In some states, it’s operated by the state DOT. Ours is very reasonable I think.

Why don’t you setup your own base as Seth.z is doing. I’d like to maybe do this at our office, but sky view is limited.

Depending upon whether or not I can get them to work with me on the price I may end up doing that. How far do you think I can expect good accuracies?

Probably within the specs of Emlid’s receivers, however you can do the math on the baseline errors, both horizontal and vertical. I’d probably limit to 20km (12 miles).

1 Like

That’s about what I was expecting so if I put one up at my house and one at the office then I can get about 50 MI east to west and 10 to 15 MI north and south on that line.

1 Like

Be careful on the distance of your baselines, ionosphere issues will also affect your accuracy. It’s modeled in RTN’s, however it would be hard with one base.

Our state RTN CORS are spaced on average about 48km (30 mi), but it computes a VRS position usually within 1 meter of the rover using the closest CORS. You won’t have the luxury of that with one base.

1 Like

I just went back through the beta posts and they were stating up to 60km for multi-band receivers?

You could verify by checking into a passive control mark. If you’ve got two receivers, you could use Emlid’s caster couldn’t you ? 60km is 37 miles.

That would be a cool experiment !

H: 7 mm+1 ppm V: 14 mm+1 ppm

60km is a long way using these specs for the RS2

Oh, I guess I wasn’t too clear on that. Yes I was planning on using Emlid’s caster. If I could get an employee to let me set one up at their house about 40mi south of my house then I could capture a good chunk of our work area. That would put each one responsible for a 20-25mi radius.

I’m assuming the specs are per km, check my math disregarding the ppm variable:

H= 60 * 7= 420mm (1.378’)

V= 60 * 14= 840mm (2.756’)

Ha, you tell me. 7 mm per kilometer is something I’m used to seeing over a radio connection and I have no idea how it works over the internet to account for the longer baselines. Those numbers are definitely not looking too appetizing…

If those numbers hold true then 25mi should keep us just inside of our tolerances for horizontal and I guess half of that for vertical.

That’s the beauty of the VRS using RTN’s. Your baseline at the rover ends up being +/-1 meter. You might be better off to subscribe on a RTN. The price you quoted above isn’t that bad for as large a state as Texas. I’m wondering how many private CORS are used in their network

1 Like