NTRIP RTK Cost

That’s true. I didn’t think about the size of our state. I guess even our little 75mi working radius would seem a little bigger in other states. I’m sure it’s all the same network as our department of transportation uses since it’s all Trimble except that they are stingy and won’t let anyone connect to it real time. If it keeps me from setting up a base station one or two times a week then it’s paid for itself and probably more accurate.

1 Like

Do you know any local Surveyors on the RTN ? Maybe you could talk to them about using their account and pay them for the extra mount. Maybe is cheaper… the state agencies like our SCGS are very reasonable.

I know two that use it and seem to be very happy with it so that’s definitely a question worth asking. Good idea!

I think they both use Trimble equipment though and since I would be wanting to use the Emlid it is actually a different version of their service that offers rtcm instead of the trimble proprietary.

1 Like

SC uses all Trimble too. Most of the stations use the NET9 receivers, I think they are considering upgrading to the ALLOY models sometime next year.

Make sure the network broadcasts something the RS2 can use… maybe you could test before subscribing.

I tested it today and have it for tomorrow as well. Seems to work really well once I figured out how to get it configured using Reachview and FieldGenius. Like I said I just know very little about this kind of use and want to make sure I’m not putting my company on the hook for something that’s not very beneficial because part of the future planning is to have our crews using Emlid gear as well and leave the Topcon for the layout guys and the machines. It’s just really hard to make sure that each crew has at least a rover at $15K a pop.

2 Likes

Looks like you’re covering all the main points for this !

You the man !

The PPM is the key factor here. It is the error per distance. Per km in this case.
The absolute portion stays fixed.

For the RS2:
H: 7 mm + 1 ppm
V: 14 mm + 1 ppm

So H = 7mm + 1mm per km
And V = 14mm + 1mm per km

At 30km
H = 7mm + 30mm per km = 37mm
V = 14mm + 30mm per km = 44mm

4 Likes

So the absolute stays fixed because it is over the internet? What about the great distance between the two and the difference in skyview?

Michael, you’re right, in Texas it is costly to receive real time RTN correction services! In Texas, TxDOT operates the majority of CORS stations.
Texas Department of Transportation, Public but only available to TxDOT employees and TxDOT contractors. Paid with our state tax dollars, but were unable to use the service!
I’ve just casually looked at the service offered by HxGN SmartNet, which they offer it at a subscription rate of $104.17 a month, billed by the year for State Coverage—Includes coverage for all of TX. It is an open system they say, but I’m unsure if it works with the Emlid systems. I don’t believe they offer a trial period.

It would be nice to be able use an RTN service at times when you are in a high risk area and you don’t want to leave your unattended Base open to theft or damage.

1 Like

Argh! Even though we had just completed three DOT jobs and were finishing up another they wouldn’t let me get on it unless we started a new project and filed up front!

Thanks for this! Definitely going to check them out.

Michael, is this the service you were trying out? (RTKNet), because it says on their website that it works with Trimble equipment only.

“The RTK Network (RTKNet.com) is a network of reference stations in Texas, Oklahoma and New Mexico managed by AllTerra Central that offers coverage both within the major metropolitan areas of both states and expanded coverage to most areas containing cellular data coverage. Using Trimble branded reference stations and Trimble software, a member with a Trimble branded rover working within the Network is able to obtain Real-Time Kinematic (RTK) corrections.”

Fees: Membership: $2000. This is a one-time fee that will be invoiced upon execution of this Subscription Agreement.Annual Fee for following two years: $500_. The Annual Fee shall be invoiced in advance on January 1stof each calendar year after the Effective Date. The first Annual Fee billing will be reduced pro-rata for the number of months less than twelve in the first Subscription year (the calendar year of the Effective Date).
Thanks, Mark

I wonder if they would make this service available sometime in the future to GNSS users. Seems like it would be handy when you are in a bad cell coverage area.

Trimble and SiriusXM Establish Alliance to Deliver Trimble RTX GNSS
Corrections via Satellite Radio for Autonomous Vehicles

Together Industry Leaders Expect to Advance Autonomy Adoption by Offering
Cost-Effective Precise Positioning Solution for a Majority of New Cars Sold in
the U.S. and Canada

PR Newswire

SUNNYVALE, Calif., Dec. 3, 2020

Yes, but they have a new version that supports RTCM for other brands as well. Worked fine on the RS2. Problem is that the new service is $2000 per year instead of $500 after the first year… From what the VP said.

Here in Denmark it is 12,000 DKK which is 1950 USD… yearly…

I am lucky, Ohio CORS is free and the system is Trimble. Some states CORS are made up of a hodge podge of brands and tend to have outages.

Check what state you are running in. There are a lot of free state ran CORS networks. I have accounts in OH, MI, MN, IA, AL and KY all are free.

2 Likes

Ouch, $2000.00/yr., must be a non Trimble user fee! Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

Yep, I was wrong ! It was late last night for an old Surveyor !

All good! You share heaps of helpful posts.

• Well-rested Young Surveyor
1 Like

The ppm error is to account for distance between the base and receiver. There is an upper limit to how far you can be before the ppm error becomes an unsuitable estimate, ~60km.

As far as I understand, the source of the correction ie. internet vs LORA is not directly relevant to the calculation.
The error calc is the same for LORA; however corrections may not be able to be broadcast eg. >8km; so that limitation is a seperate consideration.

Similarly with regards to the skyview, the ppm error estimate assumes suitable conditions. The base and receiver need to have an adequate number of visible satellites that can be seen from both ends and so the usual considerations of working in an open area etc apply.

4 Likes

Along the lines of what I understood. Thanks for the verification!

3 Likes