Navio 2 build and first flights!

Hi! Just wanted to share my recent quadcopter build using the new and amazing Navio 2 !! :slight_smile:

This is an iteration over the previous design (My next build!) The previous quad could fly for a very long time (60+ minutes), but it was very slow and not very fun to fly. Due to the low speed it was also very sensitive to wind, especially in loiter mode. The new design is reusing a lot of the components, but the key difference is smaller props and a 6S instead of a 4S battery:

Estimated weight without batteries: 800-900 gr. Frame weight ca 150gr. 13 inch props (similar size as the DJI Inspire 1 by the way)

The new configuration should give a much faster and agile quad but still be able to fly for quite a long time.

E-calc:

To estimate the best battery I tried a few variations:

Based on this (and the 40% discount!) I decided on a 8Ah 6s 10c battery at 960gr 6s 8000mAh - 10/20C - Haiyin XT90 - elefun.no - Radiostyrt hobby

more will follow soon…

2 Likes

The planning, the best part!

I love carbon fiber! :smile:

The propellers are from Hobbyking. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewitem.asp?idproduct=51970
The center sheets are 0.5 mm and the square booms are 15x15mm ( 13mmx13mm inner)

Cutting the sheets with a sharp scissor:

Frame weight! Pretty good and very stiff. Happy with this:

Soon ready for test flight!

Very easy to mount motors to the square arms. Used 2 13mm alu spacers inside boom and long 3mm bolts.

Still using the same modem. Huawei e8278, connected directly to BEC

3 Likes

First flight!!!

11 Likes

Amazing build! Super clean look and seems like it’s pretty fast.

Fantastic, as usual!

very very impressive. But i cannot wrap my head around one thing. Seems like you are flying somewhere where its cold and below zero. How does that affect you battery performance ?

In my experience, cold fingers affect flight sooner than cold batteries…

It wasn’t too cold. Around -5C I think… In my experience, lipo batteries works pretty well even when it is really cold, like -20C. I keep them in my pockets and take them out just before I fly.

As mentioned, the lower temperature is affecting the performance of the pilot more than the batteries… :slight_smile:

5 Likes

By the way, love those Fiskars scissors, they can even cut Kevlar for quite long before they require sharpening.

2 Likes

Next task is mounting the camera and setting up the software for streaming. But first I need to shield the camera. From my experience you really have to shield it to get a good GPS signal, the metal plane under the GPS helps too.

First, tape to insulate PCB:

Then copper tape for shielding:

t

Then a new layer of tape to protect it:

Cut a small hole for the lense:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Copper-Foil-Tape-EMI-Shielding-Guitar-Slug-and-Snail-Barrier-5CMx3M-/351109831730?hash=item51bfc6dc32:g:~TsAAOSw7aBVB~Le

5 Likes

Can someone shed some light on the typical 4G/3G range upwards towards the sky. How high up is the sky covered with cell tower signal propagation. ? So what i am asking is if the direction of the propagation is equal upwards as it is sideways for ground use. I would test this on a commercial plane but we have to turn phones off usually.

1 Like

In a commercial jet liner, I’ve had cell service up to at least 5000 feet…

1 Like

Second flight tests with higher pitch props.

5 Likes

Very nice build :slight_smile: Could you perhaps share the whole schematic with us? And where did you purchase the carbon fiber sheets and arms?

1 Like

The schematics are just following the guidelines from the docs. The RPi is powered by the power module and an external 10amp 5v BEV to the servo rails. The modem is connected directly to the BEC. (The power supplies are redundant and both must fail for the quad to crash)

Sheets: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-300-200-0-5mm-Full-Carbon-Fiber-Plate-Panel-Sheet-Plain-Weave-Matt-Surface/32592139107.html

Booms: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201468070090

2 Likes

Having some fun:

7 Likes

Question for you Ole- I see in another thread you previously had a Huawei E3372 connected to this quad.
I haven’t been able to get that dongle working with my R-Pi. Were you able to get it working? Or did you also have trouble and swap out to the dongle shown here?

1 Like

No, I ended up using it for my laptop instead. Ask Bernt, he has a lot of experience with modems and RPi.

1 Like