Multi-band Reach RS2 is here!

@timd1971 @tatiana.andreeva The answer of EMLID is that the delay is due to the fact that they have just finished manufacturing them and that they have to prove them!

1 Like

Or does that not mean anything anymore with multiband receivers?

1 Like

Mine were ready to ship as well but i was away from home so i have to wait!

Hi @davehofer1993,

There is no AR ratio parameter for Reach RS2.

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Can’t go to Bluetooth tab on RS2

Does FIX & HOLD and CONTINUOUS no longer apply to RS2 also? thank you @tatiana.andreeva

2 Likes

Hi @timd1971,

Reach RS2 uses another computation algorithm.

4 Likes

Interesting!

Although I have a small pile of RS2’s on hand, I haven’t turned one on yet (I’m looking forward to some experimentation this weekend.) But the lack of an AR, or any other assessment of position confidence is concerning to me.

I’ve have a little ZED-F9P board connected to a bluetooth interface (sparkfun) that I’ve played with for months, but was always disappointed there was no AR ratio, or any other sense of the “confidence” of the solution. But then I noticed all the pictures of the Reachview display on RS2 literature seemed to show an AR ratio, so I just figured Emlid engineers figured out how to “tease out” some sort of confidence value.

Can anyone who’s used the RS2 tell us how we know we have a good valid RTK location?

This is a question which has bothered me for months, and now that it’s confirmed there’s no AR ratio, I’m concerned.

I’m surprised that with all the early Beta users (but none in my country) someone hasn’t talked about this yet. Sure, you can look at known points, or smoothness of tracks to get an idea how accurate your position is, but we really want to know our positions are accurate.

• tj.
2 Likes

Maybe those screenshots were from a RS+ example, but screenshots edited to show REACH RS2 at the top instead?

It’s probably just a matter of updating everything and probably getting to it since so new, but this way DOCS can be available for now.

I.e. AR showing here in RS2 DOCS:
https://docs.emlid.com/reachrs2/common/reachview/status/

2 Likes

Hopefully someone gives us a explanation about this . :smile: Comparing RS2 and RS+ - #26 by davehofer1993

1 Like

Hey there,

Reach RS2 should provide a robust RTK solution once it acquires fix.

We’re currently updating our docs to contain all the up-to-date info about Reach RS2. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

The AR radio was in the RS2 UX as an artifact (I assume) because of reuse of the prior ReachView UX code. It was planned to be eliminated from the beginning, the early beta-testers were told that and we trained ourselves to ignore it when it was present.

It didn’t seem like a big deal to me (aside from trying not to stare at it :wink: ). In the past, the processing engine was traditionally set to fix when the AR ratio rose above 3. So I would always be watching and waiting for it to creep up to and beyond 3. And then jump up and down in excitement when I got a fix (those were the early days :roll_eyes:).

The thing is with RS2; there is no point because even if the AR ratio behaved the same as with the single band receivers, there would be no chance for you to watch it and get meaningful information from it.

That is my 2¢ anyway.

p.s. I have not investigated into how AR works with multi-band or if it is even still a ‘thing’. For me the first question would be, “could we even have it back”, and the next question would be, “why would we want to have it back”.

3 Likes

So you tell me this was still a good fix https://community.emlid.com/uploads/default/original/2X/0/0a957d787baa06320c189c1a66cfd12ffa8f8ce1.png

I got that from here
RS2 - The 33/66km RTK session with ntrip/simcard

66.637 m baseline… 1.1 AR uhhh…. ???

Is that your RS+ receivers? (1) via NTRIp or (2) via LoRa? (if so…FIX AND HOLD or CONTINUOUS?)

Not really, I got that from @TB_RTK’s post

That is from an early version of Reachview. AR was a bug in those days.
It`s actually quoted just below that picture.
Oh, the FIX was Solid :smiley:

3 Likes

uhhh…. ok.

Well, the old RS/RS+ AR (loading scene and waiting for 999 full jackpot) is over for RS2.
The mulitba(n)d setup of RS2 will rule out most of the multipath issue but still, to provide certain level of confident you must survey a point at least two times with at least 20-30min between to be sure a point is up the minimum of beeing certain that a point is valid (within the x% rms spec).
AR doesnt work as a “multipath” warning. :blush:

3 Likes

Yes. My pair of RS2 units arrived from Hong Kong exactly 3 days after shipping. All tracked via FedEx. That’s fairly impressive shipping.

Unfortunately I’ve not been there to try them yet…or even unpack them. A job for tomorrow!

2 Likes

Does one get a GDOP / HDOP / VDOP figure when using the RS2’s with a pro survey package like FG?

(I’ll be able answer my own question tomorrow! :rofl:)

2 Likes