How to connect your Reach RS2/RS2+ to the internet via a mobile hotspot

To connect your Reach RS2/RS2+ to the internet and receive corrections from an NTRIP service or update Reach Firmware, you can use a mobile hotspot on your smartphone or tablet. In short, you’ll need to go through three main steps:

1. Get access to your Reach in Emlid Flow.
  2. Configure Wi-Fi connection settings in Emlid Flow.
  3. Access Reach in your Wi-Fi network.

Learn more about them in the Connecting Reach to the Internet via mobile hotspot guide.

During the configuration, double-check you’re entering the correct network name and password. And pay special attention to the following tips:

By the way, for Reach RS+, all the steps of connecting to the mobile hotspot are the same.

P.S. Previously, we shared a post on how you can adjust a UBX log for OPUS in Emlid Studio, don’t forget to check it!

3 Likes

Connecting Reach RS2+ to the Internet via built-in modem

I may be off the mark here, but as a new user, the User Documentation does not seem to provide sufficient information to get the built-in modem up and running. Installing the nano sim card is good, but I have been racking my brain trying to find a provider that offers a data plan that is compatible with the Reach RS2+. I have tried Spectrum and they gave me an APN to use. Here was their comment back to me:

Hi Dennis,

*The APN is data641003. Your device user manual should include how to set this up. *

Make sure you restart the device after changing APN.
Thank you,

I tried that APN but it still won’t allow me to turn on the mobile data toggle. I have followed up whether I need an “Authentication Type” entry is needed.

In browsing the internet, E38 is the only supplier that prvides an offering for a Reach RS2+ data plan, unfortunately it is “sold out”:

E38 Connect Data Plan

Hopefully Emlid’s technical support can provide clear instructions on where one can purchase a sim and data plan that will work with the Reach RS2+. There surely must be a market to make this a profitable accessory. I would rather not carry around my Verizon Hot Spot. I run the risk of losing it.

Thanks in advance

Dennis

1 Like

Hi Dennis,

Sorry for the delayed comments. Let’s investigate what is going on.

Do you test the SIM card in an area with good cell coverage? Have you tried using it on your mobile phone? Let’s test if you can connect to the internet with it.

If yes, please let me know:

• If your SIM card supports 4G/3G/2G
  • If the SIM card has a data-only plan or the voice calls are included

Also, please generate a full system report from the receiver when the SIM card is inserted and send it to me at support@emlid.com.