Establishing a base coordinate without a reference

I think Trimble’s WM-Survey II app goes to 8 decimal places.

If you use it, you have to install Lefebure NTRIP on your android device. It isn’t used for the NTRIP but for mock locations. Once mock locations are enabled, use the internal (Android) GPS as the source. Mock locations makes your phone/tablet use the Emlid RTK GPS instead of the internal WAAS GPS

If you use it and need help setting it up, drop me a line and I would be happy to help.

So you cannot connect to the M2 hotspots?

I’m not sure I understand where exactly you’re unable to see the more precise digits. What app are you using to record RTK points?

Hi @Susquatch,

You should be able to work with the ReachView app without an Internet connection. When you place Reach far from any saved Wi-Fi networks, it’ll switch to hotspot mode automatically. You can connect to Reach M2 hotspot and open ReachView to check the latitude and longitude of a location.

1 Like

Best advise is find deals on older guidance units that actually steer on NMEA.

Power steering is required.

AOG is a whole lot of fun and its is quite affordable, but it is a big learning curve to start off because you need to build your own hardware. If you only need a light bar its super simple and cost effective.

Actually, I’m not recording RTK points at all. For now, I’m just trying to establish the exact location of my base. So I have my rover over a government monument and I’m using the error to correct my base location until the error is gone.

My application doesn’t require recording data points in future either.

I’m a farmer looking to obtain manual guidance in real time.

I discovered that by accident today when the unit got unplugged from power.

So it seems the m2 establishes a hotspot if no WiFi is available. Then I can use my phone to access the hotspot and then use the Emlid Reach app to get the coordinates in full 9 decimal places.

I’m all set now.

I do wish there was a way to force it to establish a hot spot without unplugging it.

I didn’t know I could do that until I discovered it by accident today. Basically I have been starting it at home accessing my home network and then travelling to the monument. In so doing, it never goes back to creating a hotspot. But if I unplug it and restart it, it builds a hotspot and I am all set.

Thank you!

1 Like

I got it working using the M2 hotspot today. So I’m all set on that front now.

I may do some surveying down the road though. Is trimble’s app available without a subscription?

I will see what I can find.

Yes, for now I’m only planning to use an app that generates a lightbar type display on a tablet. I’ve had success with an android app called Field Navigator. Field Bee also has a free app but may require a subscription to work well. Time will tell.

Field Bee also sells a steering wheel dri e system for autosteer, but it seems to be very expensive. Overall, it’s a good project for next winter.

Hmmmm, mine didn’t appear to switch automatically. It only switched after I turned the power off and then back on.

But yes, I was able to get the coordinates that way.

Thank you.

Hi @Susquatch,

I believe what @liudmila.slepova meant here is that Reach will switch automatically to hotspot while turning on if there are no known networks.

If you want to enable the hotspot while working with the device, you can do it manually in ReachView 3 Settings/Wi-Fi.

1 Like

Except if you move away from a known WiFi. Then the unit will keep on searching infinitely, and thus you can’t access the unit.

3 Likes

It is a free app with no subscription. I use it as it matches the data of their FMX/TMX monitors and their software.

Yup. That’s the problem.

Fortunately, a power off/on cycle puts it back into hotspot mode after a while.

I had not built an on/off switch into my system design. But I will add one now.

That might work “If” Reachview 3 worked… But since there is no network, Reachview 3 doesn’t work either. Seems like there is no choice but to cycle the power.

OK, I don’t really like power cycling the device so I’ll try it! Thank you!

@Susquatch,

It was made on purpose initially to make sure Reach reconnects to the network if it loses it accidentally. The workaround I can suggest here is to enable the hotspot in advance if you are sure that you will go out of the Wi-Fi range.

Still, this is a good point to consider for our further improvements, thanks for bringing it to our attention!

1 Like

Thanks Tatiana. It’s good to know that there was a reason for it. And yes, that’s a very good reason.

And it’s also good to know that you folks will look into other ways to provide access to the portal. Power cycling isn’t a great solution. Continuous improvement is a very worthy goal.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi Tatiana,

I may help you folks understand why this is important to me (and others like me).

I’m a farmer. I am building a system based on the M2 to do field guidance and also the odd survey job. My rover will be built into a portable system that can be mounted onto a pole at the front of my tractor and moved from tractor to tractor depending on the job. Planting, spraying, spreading fertilizer, require different tractors.

When I implimented my home network, I deliberately designed a system that would reach my entire farm yard as well as a good portion of the surrounding fields so I could use a computer or my phone almost anywhere. As it is, my network will reach a half km in all directions. While the M2 WiFi is good, it isn’t THAT good!

Ideally, the M2 would lose its connection to my home network, and keep retrying for a reasonable period of time (say 2 minutes default, or perhaps a user programmable time delay), after which it would switch over to broadcasting a local WiFi network instead.

This would allow me to start my system up here in the farm yard and get everything working, and yet still be able to access the portal if needed when I am 2 or 3 km away.

Food for your consideration.

2 Likes