Establishing a base coordinate without a reference

or just setup a hotspot on your phone and connect the M2 to that hotspot

On the surface, that sounds like a great idea. But how does that work? If your phone is busy providing the hot spot, how does it control or access devices that are attached to it? Isnā€™t it just a pass through device at that point that connects the M2 to the internet?

Normally, as long as the device is on the same network as the M2 (it should be since it acts as the router), then the app should detect it.

Iā€™m sorry to be so late replying. I think I just overlooked it.

Yes, that worked just fine.

I have a related question.

As per the subject of this thread, I established a base position and then programmed that into the base station as a manually input location.

But, what would happen if I leave those coordinates in the base but physically move it to another location?

Im just asking because Iā€™d like to move the base temporarily and donā€™t need absolute accurate coordinates at the rover. I just need them to be accurate relative to each other.

Is there a point at which the base realizes the manual coordinates canā€™t possibly be right so it stops using them? Or maybe the rover says they canā€™t be right and ignores the base?

I would just do a WAAS 5 minute average on the base that you do not need absolute accuracy.

BTW, for almost all types of farming applications, you really do not need absolute accuracy provided your base is in the same location with the same LAT/LON/ALT. Your AB lines or my tile lines for install do not move if I meet those two requirements.

1 Like

Yes I have come across this , the rover will not get a fix

Thanks davehofer1993, itā€™s good to know we canā€™t get silly about the coordinates.

Out of curiosity, how far out were your coordinates when this happened?

Yes, I am aware of this nuance.

But I also wanted to use my system to locate property boundaries and survey stakes so absolute accuracy was required.

I would prefer not to do a 5 minute average. I donā€™t want to have to reprogram anything. I would prefer to just grab my equipment and go. But if that isnā€™t possible then so be it.

That time was about 20km ,so I donā€™t know about be off 1 meter

I understand needing accuracy for that.

If you do not need repeatable accuracy, do a 5 second average. Even then, if you need to come back the next day to the same spot, record the Base data and manually enter it the next day.

This is why I have asked for a feature request of a save a base location. Even if it were maximum of 5 locations, and I could download/upload saved base locations, it would be a great feature for a lot of applications where absolute accuracy isnā€™t needed but relative accuracy is.

3 Likes

Trimble base stations can save up to 13 base locations. I can manually select which one I want to use or they also have an Autobase feature. Autobase basically gets its location via WAAS then cross references the saved base locations. If the LAT/LON are real close to a saved base location, it initializes that base data. I am not sure how far it can be off on LAT/LON and I am sure it doesnā€™t take into account ALT as I have seen over a 30 foot difference in elevation with WAAS from one day to the next.

I do not need the Autobase function in the RS2/M2, just stored base locations that can be retrieved when manually entering base station location data. Call me lazy, I donā€™t want to have to manually enter the LAT/LON/ALT with my main reason being human error on data entry.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s the biggest reason for not get a fix or reliable documentation Iā€™m thinking

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.