Emlid Studio Beta

This software is Emlid’s biggest contribution to moving forward so far in my opinion. I finally had the opportunity to test Beta 7 last night, and it just works! The days of using RTKConv, RTKPost, and RTKPlot are OVER! I use this primarily for post-processing airborne trajectories for photogrammetry. A few notes are as follows:

• I ran into a small installation error that could be skipped. I didn’t screenshot it, but nothing appears to be running out of the ordinary.
  • Following conversion to Lat/Long, MANY people need to adjust the Z values to Orthometric (Geoid). Every country is different, but in the states, I use https://geodesy.noaa.gov/GEOID/GEOID18/computation.html. Formatting is a royal pain, so some preprogrammed outputs would be GREAT!
  • The next HUGE step is converting Lat/Long to projected coordinates using EPSG codes. I currently use QGIS for this, but there’s other tools too. It’s really as easy as selecting an EPSG code, and ReachView already does this. Let’s get Emlid Studio to as well!
  • A synthetic heading would be really useful by averaging the ground track azimuth of the event based on the previous and next epochs. This can give Photogrammetry software some more context to make pixel matches in difficult-to-map areas.
  • Finally, making the _events.pos output into a standardized photogrammetric output format would be helpful. This really has to happen after the conversion to EPSG codes, but normally that would be X Y Z Roll Pitch Yaw, all of the rest. Roll and pitch would need to be zeroed or input from other inertial software. Most photogrammetric software can accept a .csv or .txt file with the highly accurate EO (external orientation) coordinates, so geotagging is unnecessary, HOWEVER…
  • Geotagging photos would really make this software competitive with about any other UAV post-processing software out there.
11 Likes

Hello everyone!

I made a test with Emlid Studio and RS2 and it worked.
Some days later i decided to try another test.

Base placed over a known point, start logging.

Test 2, WGS84 UTM34N + EGM2008
After 10 mins started to collect data with rover, loggings and survey with RW3. Just one point.

Then, without stopping Rover logging i created another project in RW3.

Test 3, WGS84 + EGM2008
Started to survey with RW3. The same point as Test 2.

And then again some other projects.

Test 4, WGS84 + Ellipsoidal height
Started to survey with RW3. The same point as Test 2

Test 5, WGS84 UTM34N + Ellipsoidal height

Test 6 , EPSG6870 + Ellipsoidal height

Rover logging stopped. Data downloaded.
After 10mins i stopped the Base logging.

Back in office.
Emlid Studio corrected Test 2 (the first test) but not the other tests and i dont know why.
Maybe i am doing something wrong?

This is a screenshoot of the .csv file generated by Emlid Studio.
Test_2
Test_3

If i am doing something wrong pls let me know.

Thank You!

Hi Nathan,

Thanks for your kind words! We’re glad to make your everyday work easier. Also, all your requests are noted.

Do you work on macOS or Windows? Could you provide the version?

Hi Adis,

Would you mind sharing the data with us? It’s hard to say why Emlid Studio couldn’t process some tests without checking the data. You can PM me with the data if you don’t want to post them in public.

I installed Emlid_Studio_v1-beta-7_Setup.exe on my Windows 10 laptop and got the following error during installation

Installation error

I am not sure if this will be an issue when I get the chance to try it or not.

1 Like

The same for me when installing, But then, ran in “normality”(I believe it’s running normal)

Hi Svetlana!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HmIl7IYxnHA-SQSYpSu8z0M-s0Jgk97h/view?usp=drivesdk

In this link you will find all the data.
As i understand, if i uncheck GALILEO Constellation everything is OK. Otherwise just Test 2 will be corrected.

Thank You!
Let me know!

Ignore

Hello Svetlana,
thank you for your answer.
indeed if I don’t get a FIX in STOP & GO, I might be difficult sometimes to recompute in PPK a fix solution.
But here my issue is upside down
for a given timestamp I’ve got fix solution in STOP & GO, but when I compute my log in EMLID STUDIO for that same timestamp the pos returns -NAN value. quite surprising , isn’t it ?

Hello Ivan
when trying to updating to the last version, the install wizard fails (at 97%) with the following issue

any idea why ?
should we uninstall in windows and install again then ? maybe safer.
antoine

Hi @jp-drain-sol, @bernardo.barraza, @a.billault !

To make Emlid Studio work, Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package is installed. Installation of this package usually requires restarting the PC.
Installer of Emlid Studio 1-beta-7 suppresses the requested reboot, that’s why the error appears.

Basically, this error means that Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable was installed successfully :smile:

We will handle this error in a future release.

1 Like

Windows 10.

a nice blog that explains the meaning of the debug trace file (*.pos.trace)

1 Like

Accurate offset for drones would be a nice feature indeed. Does it requires inertial information (pitch, roll & yaw) from flight controller, or only the GNSS information is enough?

Hi IVAN,
I think I found an issue in EMLID STUDIO post-processing settings…

If I set results folder to INPUT FILE FOLDER, it doesn’t write *.pos file in ROVER log folder …?
is it what it shoud do ?

One has to set and manually select the result folder instead…

let me know if I am right.

Hi

I tried to collect some points (REACH RS) on stop&go (15 sec of each acquisition) now I would like to post process using a rinex from base station but no result

where am I wrong ?

When load the rinex of base station in Studio how can understand the time start and end (I can only download rinex per hour)

Thx

Francesco

Hi Antoine,

I need to take a look at your data to check what’s wrong. We have a conversation with you over email. You can send your data there.

Hi Gabriel,

Post-processing software can hardly calculate offset between antenna and camera. For this, it should know the precise coordinates of a camera’s center. To be honest, I don’t know cameras that can provide this info. It’s usually the drones manufacturers’ responsibility.

However, we definitely can add fields to enter these values :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi Nathan,

Thanks! I’m not sure we’ll be able to reproduce this. However, if you’ll face this issue once again, please share the screenshot with us.

Hi Francesco,

So, do you download base RINEX from the NTRIP service? If so, you can just open rover RINEX in Emlid Studio first. You’ll see the time span below the plot.