DJI M300 and RS2 workflow and limitations

We are looking to get a DJI M300 and P1, with an added Base/Rover for RTK/PPK and GCPs.

We have considered the DJI D-RTK 2 and Emlid RS2. I understand the Emlid RS2 will give us great flexibility and use.

From what i understand, the DJI M300/controller can only connect to an NTRIP network (wifi) for RTK, meaning that the RS2 would have to be in close proximity to the controller, and require cellular reception, is this correct? Or Occy sync if using the D-RTK 2

We also have a scenario where we are working on a site that has a Topcon G5 that a contractor is (presumably) broadcasting over LoRa, for GPS guided machinery. We were hoping that we could connect to this, but it seems not. How would we use the RS2 in this instance for RTK.

For PPK i understand we would just connect the RS2 to the topcon G5 and use a known point to record RINEX while we fly the M300.

Yes the RS2 will outperform the D-RTK 2 easily in use as a rover, repeatability and battery life. You can go completely off grid if you have two. D-RTK 2’s don’t work together as a base and rover over LoRa which doesn’t make any sense because they can be both and the drone is a rover. It just can’t talk to itself? Any modern receiver can i/o via NTRIP at this point. Focus you search on Emlid Caster and newer Local Caster which I don’t know much about.

1 Like

Hi Brocxen,

As Michael mentioned, we have a feature called local NTRIP Caster. It’s a way to send NTRIP corrections to your drone controller via the base’s Wi-Fi hotspot. Our DJI users confirmed that it works fine for them. So, if Internet access is unavailable, this feature can help.

Our LoRa can work only with Reach devices. But if you have a second receiver from another manufacturer, you can use a couple of external radios for the base and rover. If the Topcon G5 can output GPS observables and ARP coordinates in RTCM3, it should work well as a base for Reach.

I’d also recommend our new post-processing software, Emlid Studio. The latest version is capable of geotagging photos using timestamps generated by DJI drones.

3 Likes