Connecting Reach RS2 to Laptop using a Ethernet RJ45 Connector

Thanks to all for the help!

Hi Ignacio,
I’m afraid we hardly can provide you with a custom firmware build.
Could you tell more about your project? It’s possible I can suggest you an alternative in resolving it.

@tatiana.andreeva We built a car-mount with 1 Laser scan, 1 GPS, 4 cameras and other sensors. Everything is connected to a local network(using a Gigabit switch) except for the GPS. It would be nice to have all the sensors on the same network, but I see that this is nearly impossible.

It is possible to get USB 3.1 extenders (e.g. Blackbox) that will extend a USB host connection up to 100 metres on structured cabling. Its not beautiful, but it may do what you need.

On the other hand, would a serial port connection from the RS2 be sufficient or do you really need a network or USB connection?

@DirtyHarry Thanks for the suggestion. We do need a network connection, although we are currently using a long USB C cable. It’s not what we wanted, but it does work.

Could you use the EXT RS2 cable: (link)
and combine that with a RJ-45 ethernet to RS-232 device server (link as an example):

@Africawaterdoc I think this is the best solution available right now. Thanks for the suggestion. I’m not sure if we will be able to make this change since we plan to power the GPS using this same connector, and I’d guess that the reach-rs-cable-2m-db9-male-connector + RS232<->RJ45 doesn’t expose the power pin. What do you think?

Thanks a lot to everyone!