Cellular Data Service for RS2 built in modem for NTRIP Connection (in US)

Hi,

Any current (or planned) U.S. users of the RS2 have advice on cell data service to use the built-in cell modem for connecting to NTRIP correction services?

I’ve got an RS2 receiver on its way and am wondering about options for using the built-in connectivity rather than connection to a hotspot.

Where I am (Vermont), Verizon network is better than AT&T so would prefer to use Verizon. AT&T network frequencies look supported. Can’t tell for sure if with Verizon’s network. Sprint and T-mobile networks are not great here, so would try for something on Verizon or AT&T over them. I believe Verizon also is planning to shut off their 3G network soon, so maybe that would rule our any Verizon based service…

So, anyone have advice on either pay as you go, or monthly data-only plans either through the major carriers or with other providers that would be good to look at?

Thanks, Scott

Hi Scott,

T-mobile and AT&T worked smoothly for me in the Southwest and Northeast.

Were you using the internet connection of the RS2 with reach view on a mobile device? If so, any estimate of your data usage for both an NTRIP connection and the basemap?

Thanks

NTRIP can be up to 18-19 Kb/s, map usage will greatly upon your usecase, but I wouldn’t think that’s a lot.

Why not just get a plan with free data? Of course I don’t know the prices, but here it is an ok price.

I also would like to hear if anyone got a RS2 to work with verizon. i am in California and have a verizon family plan. recently i tried to register a 4g phone but was told it did not have HD-VOICE (i think thats the issue) so they would not accept it. They then informed me two of my other phones (same model) would be kicked off in about a year. on the other hand i would not be surprised if this only applies to voice devices.

I am based in Chicago area and tried using several different sim cards on the RS2. The only one that activated mobile data on the device was T-Mobile (voice+data card). With the other cards it reads the them and shows the cell bars on the top of the screen, but it would not allow to turn the mobile data on. I tried using APN but that didn’t help. I tested this with Verison (data card), Sprint (voice+data card) and a hologram.io data sim card (auto switching carriers). Don’t have an AT&T card to try.

I’ll add that I had an old TracFone SIM lying around (AT&T service version) and I purchased some data for that and it activated fine on the RS2. This was in Vermont.

I have used a t-mobile and a google FI card and both worked and are GSM sims vs. CDMA sims- One thing I did notice that can effect some people is that the reach app acts like a word processor and begins the line with a capitol letter and some apn’s will not work unless correct so you have to enter the first letter than backspace to enter the first letter as a non capitol.

Any update on mobile data for Verizon in reachview app?

Just tried my sim card in the RS2, the cell bars show up, but the mobile data will not turn on.

Hi there,

As far as I know Verizon uses CDMA, it won’t work with RS2 cellular modem. By the way CDMA will be soon wiped out so I’d recommend checking for other providers anyway

Thank you for the information. I figured it was something like that.

So I now recieved an AT&T sim card and have it installed and mobile data connected. However, I cannot connect to the NTRIP caster. I can connect the NTRIP through a wireless network to get corrections, but when I turn mobile data on, it won’t connect.
Any thoughts?

Thank you for the help and being patient with me.

It’s interesting, I also can’t connect to this caster. Could you check with them if they are online? Perhaps, they can also provide alternative IP address to connect to.

I tried the different IP address that they provided me to no avail.
If I turn mobile data off, and connect to a wireless network, I can connect to the caster as shown below:

Ah I see, thanks! In this case please send us simple system report (you can get it from settings) from the unit with SIM card installed and activated. This is to check whether RS2 actually gets Internet access.

Simple system report
app version: 2.20.7-rs2-rc0-r0
'wifi_status, interface: wlan0':
- wifi_mode: ap
- access_point:
    band: bg
    channel: 1
    password: null
  ip: 192.168.42.1
  is_added: true
  is_connected: true
  mac_address: 6C:21:A2:92:7B:26
  security: wpa-psk
  ssid: reach:46:AE
  uuid: a8d2d9f5-b9ba-4707-aad4-b44efd865dea
base mode:
  base coordinates:
    accumulation: '2'
    antenna offset:
      east: '0'
      north: '0'
      up: '0'
    coordinates:
    - '0'
    - '0'
    - '0'
    format: llh
    mode: single-and-hold
  output:
    enabled: true
    format: rtcm3
    path: tcpsvr://:9000#rtcm3
    type: tcpsvr
  rtcm3 messages:
    '1006':
      frequency: '0.1'
    '1074':
      frequency: '1'
    '1084':
    '1094':
      enabled: false
    '1124':
bluetooth:
  discoverable: false
  pin: '***'
correction input:
  input2:
    path: fgls/brfrierm:***@wiscors.dot.wi.gov:2101/RTCM3Net
    send position to base: single
    type: ntripcli
  input3:
    path: :9028
logging:
  base:
    format: RTCM3
    started: true
    version: null
  correction:
    format: RTCM3
  interval: 24
  overwrite: true
  raw:
    format: UBX
  solution:
    format: LLH
lora:
  air rate: 2.6000000000000001
  frequency: 868000
  output power: 20
position output:
  output1:
    format: nmea
    path: bluetooth
    type: bluetooth
  output2:
    path: :9001
  output3:
    path: :2014
  output4:
    format: llh_ext
    path: :2015
rtk settings:
  elevation mask angle: '15'
  glonass ar mode: 'off'
  gps ar mode: fix-and-hold
  max horizontal acceleration: '1'
  max vertical acceleration: '1'
  positioning mode: kinematic
  positioning systems:
    compass: false
    galileo: false
    glonass: true
    gps: true
    qzss: false
  snr mask: '35'
  update rate: '5'

Hi @Brfrierm,

Have you already tried entering the IP address instead of domain name?
May I ask you to send me the Full System report in PM as well?

Hi @Brfrierm,

Thanks for sharing the report!

Have you tried to enter APN in the Mobile data tab?

1 Like

I have entered an APN, I’m not sure it is the correct one though. Hopefully today I will be able to figure out if it is the correct one.

1 Like

Hi @Brfrierm,

Please keep us posted regarding your tests with APN.

I had a couple of Reach RS2 units I could not connect to Telstra’s mobile network with the internal SIM slot. Thanks to Emlid support I learned to input the APN.

For me to connect to Telstra’s mobile network in Australia, I found the following worked really well as an APN value: telstra.iph