Can I use PPP services or OPUS in my area?

I’m pretty sure you’ve heard about Precise Point Positioning (PPP) and NOAA’s OPUS at least once, and you might wonder whether you can use them in your work area. Well, the answer is simple, let’s take a closer look.

There are several PPP services: Canadian NRCAN CSRS-PPP, Brazilian IGBE-PPP, and AUSPOS. The names might suggest that they are related to specific areas. But in fact, they can be used anywhere in the world. I mean, where there is a clear sky view, of course :slightly_smiling_face:

You can find the details of working with PPP in our previous post. But if you feel that you’re ready to dive deeper, we have a guide about PPP in our docs.

And what about OPUS? It works a little differently: precise coordinates are calculated based on the data from the NOAA’s network of continuously operating reference stations. Therefore the area of its use is limited by the territory of the United States.

However, some benefits are also here. With PPP service, you’ll need to wait for 2 weeks to get the accurate position. At the same time, OPUS can deliver the centimeter-accurate coordinates right on the following day after the survey. Convenient, isn’t it? To learn more about working with OPUS, feel free to check this guide.

Still in doubt? Have some experience in using PPP and OPUS to share? Then, see you in the comments!

12 Likes

Thanks Julia, this will help many beginners to learn and understand.

Users of some commercial PP software (such as Javad Justin 3) will find that they can also PPP in their software.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.