What output for displacement in fixed location calculation

Hi all,

I would like some advise on the following:

Setup:
2x Reach RS+ (1x Base, 1x Rover)
PLC with RS232 interface

Situation:
Base is at static location ± 10 meter from rover “square”.
Rover will randomly move in a square of 4x4meter.

Desired effect:
At start i will “zero” the rover.
The rover will be static at the centre of the square.
I will save the current location.
Then the rover will move, and i want to know where in the square the rover is (desired accuracy ± 10cm).

I’m not interested in height.
i’m not interested in what the actual location of the square is.
I’m only interested in the position of the rover in this square.(and the displacement from the “zero”-point).

Question / issue
What output and method is advised for this project?
If i use the XYZ output i can’t directly use the X and Y numbers because this is relative to the centre mass of the earth.
But if i use the LLH Output it gives me degrees, not meter/centimeter.
Is there a “simple” way to convert the LLH to meter/centimeter. and would this work for my project?
once again, i’m not interested in where i am, only interested in difference between my zero-point and actual-point

Maybe an other output would be more sufficient?

Any help is welcome.

Thanks

Hi @j.braun,

If you aren’t interested in the absolute accuracy, only in the distance between points, you can use any format that is more convenient for you.

With 2 Reach RS+ units, you’ll be able to obtain a relative centimeter-level precision.

I suppose it can be done in QGIS, for example.

I am assuming you will be staying withing range of wifi/bluetooth per your description of a 4x4 meter square.

If so try QField with rover RS+ streaming location via bluetooth onto device. You can set your project to any coordinate system you want and will project on fly from WGS84 Reach RS. You could try writing your own coordinate system file and bring into QGIS defining your own origin and parameters. But for your needs this should get you pretty darn close.

Convert llh to utm. Or just use an enu solution…
AM

1 Like

Mobile Topographer Pro can display/output in UTM. Likewise, setup a QField project in UTM.

RTKNavi. Change the output stream.

Thanks for the reply’s.
What i’m looking for is a formula / setting to real time process the output data string from the RS232 output.

I think that a way to calculate(convert) the LLH/XYZ (Centre of the earth) to a ENU (or local xyz axis) is the way to go.

But it don’t know how to convert the LLH data to ENU data.

Seperate software like RKTNavi or QGIS are not suitable for me, because i want to do the calculation in a PLC and use it on my own HMI. (REALTIME)

Thanks,

Hi All,

I think i found a solution, by converting to ENU (as @amadson mentioned) i can have my local XYZ plane.
The only thing i need to do is rotate around the U to get my desired X and Y vector.

code used:

public static void EcefToEnu(double x, double y, double z,
double lat0, double lon0, double h0,
out double xEast, out double yNorth, out double zUp)
{
// Convert to radians in notation consistent with the paper:
var lambda = DegreeToRadian(lat0);
var phi = DegreeToRadian(lon0);
var s = Math.Sin(lambda);
var N = a / Math.Sqrt(1 - e_sq * s * s);
var sin_lambda = Math.Sin(lambda);
var cos_lambda = Math.Cos(lambda);
var cos_phi = Math.Cos(phi);
var sin_phi = Math.Sin(phi);
double x0 = (h0 + N) * cos_lambda * cos_phi;
double y0 = (h0 + N) * cos_lambda * sin_phi;
double z0 = (h0 + (1 - e_sq) * N) * sin_lambda;
double xd, yd, zd;
xd = x - x0;
yd = y - y0;
zd = z - z0;

// This is the matrix multiplication
        xEast = -sin_phi * xd + cos_phi * yd;
        yNorth = -cos_phi * sin_lambda * xd - sin_lambda * sin_phi * yd + cos_lambda * zd;
        zUp = cos_lambda * cos_phi * xd + cos_lambda * sin_phi * yd + sin_lambda * zd;
    }

First i save a position for the origin for the local axis.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi there,

A long time has passed since this thread was closed. But I just wanted to leave a quick word on the updates. To operate your Reach RS+ now, you can use ReachView 3 app. It supports plenty of different coordinate systems, including UTM ones. It’ll help you work with plane coordinates in your project.

At the same time, you can work with the ENU format of the data streaming in ReachView 3 as well. Here’s the article that can help you configure it.