UART Port broken, what should I do?

I am only saying the problem is not between the USB adapter and the PI. It could be anything up to the USB adapter.

Also, if you want to adjust the baud rate, you can do that by specifying it like so:
stty -F /dev/ttyS0 57600

Could you narrow the problem though through that troubleshooting?

Yes, what we learned is that:

1. Your USB adapter is recognized by the pi and is assigned to /dev/ttyUSB0 when plugged in.
  2. The Linux group ā€˜dialoutā€™ owns the USB adapter.
  3. The Linux user ā€˜piā€™ is a member of the ā€˜dialoutā€™ group.
  4. Therefore the Linux user ā€˜piā€™ can read and write to the USB adapter, and can control the settings, including baud rate.
  5. There is no 57600 baud data coming from the USB adapter into the Pi.

You must decide what else has been eliminated as a potential problem, see what parts are still suspect to have a problem, and then test those parts of the communication link.

I did not go back to review what you learned with Marcā€™s advice, but you should review what parts you know to work and what you donā€™t; then continue testing or asking how to test.

I think I should order another telemetry module as it is obvious that the air telemetry station is not receiving any data from the ground station although it seems that their lights are solid. What is your suggestion?

Before ordering, try to use the telemetry modules between two computers and exchange text via Xterm or equivalent application. When happy with your settings and familiar with the modules and serial interface, test again the mavlink connection.

1 Like

Cool, will do that God willing,
thanks for the suggestion Marc.

Hey Marc, I canā€™t really find a good tutorial on the web and havenā€™t figured how to send a text through telemetry to another computer. Your help will be appreciated.

It (is) was basic ā€œComputer 101ā€ 30 years ago.

Have a look here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000017881/intel-nuc.html and use your telemetry modules in place of null-modem cable.

Ok I did exactly as followed and opened a putty terminal; however, I couldnā€™t press ā€œsā€ or send any data or receive any. There was a yellow light on the USB adapter. What would this mean?

Sorry for the disturbance @bide, I have bought another telemetry and when I run the above command, it outputs

stty: /dev/ttyUSB0: Input/output error

What does this mean? I still am having trouble with connecting the mavLinks to mission planner and have absolutely no idea what could be wrong. Your assistance will be much appreciated.

With regard to the special device file: /dev/ttyUSB0
(where 0 is a number that increments for each device that you plug in)

The general Input/output error you see is because either the special device file is not there, or you donā€™t have permissions to access it. Both scenarios we covered up above in this post.

If you need further explanation, I will provide it.

I got it working, there was a minor problem. Even though I have bought a new telemetry, the problem still persists, no data coming in through screen and no heartbeat when connecting to mission planner.

So if data is supposed to come through the Telemetry and itā€™s not, what could be the reason other than the telemetry it self. Iā€™m a beginner to tech, if you could help me troubleshoot this, it will be much appreciated bide.

Well, Iā€™m glad you figured it out. But we can only do so much. Help to check your telemetry device should come from the seller or manufacturer, or that forum.

As we mentioned before, you should remove the telemetry device from your project and proove that it works between two computers (or between 2 ports on the same computer).

I think it would be good if you found a local person with sufficient experience to help you with that or to check them for you. The knowledge required is basic and general (for people familiar with computer hardware interfaces).

The problem could be so simple, but you must start with one thing that ā€˜works,ā€™ then add components or complexity one piece at a time until your whole system is operational.

Proove the telemetry first.

1 Like

All right cool, I will see first that my telemetries work and texts are exchanged, else I will bye telemetries that are directly usb and not require usb adapter.

Thanks, I will get back!

1 Like

Ok, one of connecter lines was kind of burned during my previous solder, having fixed that, when I now connect to MP I get access denied error. The screenshot is the error, if you know this error, please do help.

@mlebret @bide
Sorry for the ping, I would not have done it if it were not for the fact that I have searched everywhere on the interenet yet found no answer. The above screenshot error of ā€œAccess deniedā€ is given in Mission planner, and in QGround ā€œCould not create port. Access is deniedā€ error is given.

If you know anything, please do help.
Much appreciated.

Iā€™m sorry, but I do not now. Hopefully someone else can offer a suggestion.

Hey all, long time. I finally today found the solution after many trials and test. And to my surprise, the telemetries were fine and all the hardware too, the telemetries would get locked but not transfer data. At one time having the telemetries connected, I ran sudo systemctl restart arducopter, and when it restarted the red light started flashing on both telemetries. And when I connected through MP, it connected!!!

So basically, the solution was running that command while the temetries are connected! Long time, but finally found the solution alhamdulillah!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.