Trouble upgrading

Current version copter 3.4 (I think I got this from the start up of Mission Planner, not sure about pi version or APM version as well. Some basic documentation to find such information would be nice for us noobs)

Mission Planner informed me a new version:

I used “pi@navio: ~ $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” and everything seemed fine although I never saw this screen:

I didn’t know how to check the version so I connected to Mission Planner and got the same message about upgrading again.

So I used “pi@navio: ~ $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade” again, this time I get the

I don’t think I waited long enough on the first try, But that’s a guess from a noob. Any suggestions?

Hello,

No noob question, but you need to wait a little for the archive update.

3.5 is common for all vectors (Quad, Hexa,…) and the install module will be quite different.

You can do it by hand (I did it) but it is not easy.

Marc

Sorry @mlebret I don’t understand, the update command started, then before it completed I interrupted it (at least thats all i can figure as i never saw the blue/gray screen.)

Now when I try the command again, I get the black screen message above.

Sorry if I was not clear:

3.5 update is not available yet in the “update -upgrade” process.

You can only do a manual installation and settings of the 3.5

Look at

Launching a custom ArduPilot binary

in the Ardupilot installation and running section of the Navio2 docs.

Path to Arducopter 3.5 file

Marc

1 Like

ETA on the apt-get update process? Been trying to do waf build of 3.5 but not finding binary in specified directory:(

@mlebret, Any update as to when the Arducopter 3.5 update will be available in the “update -upgrade” process?

Hello,

I’m just an « user ».

If you want to try latest stable (3.5.1) you can try to follow this path:

RMK1: When you download the Firmware « arducopter », the file is saved at the root of your pi. So when you list the navio directory, you find it. If (as me) you do that a lot of time, when importing the latest firmware, it is saved with a suffixe like arducopter-1.

So before importing a new version of arducopter I rename the older one with the mv command: mv arducopter arducopter3.5.rc11

No need if it is your first download…

RMK2: the default configuration utility create and enable arducopter service. With the custom firmware, we use ardupilot service.

So you have to disable arducopter service

sudo systemctl disable arducopter

then reboot

If you need to install a new version of arducopter, you will have to disable ardupilot service before…

Last login: Fri Jul 14 15:11:16 2017 from fe80::499:ee73:b096:2659%intwifi0
pi@navio:~ $ sudo systemctl disable ardupilot
Removed symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ardupilot.service.
pi@navio:~ $ sudo reboot

RMK3: You have to edit ardupilot.service file according to your need:

[Unit]
Description=ArduPilot for Linux
After=systemd-modules-load.service
Documentation=https://docs.emlid.com/navio2/navio-ardupilot/installation-and-running/#autostarting-ardupilot-on-boot
Conflicts=arduplane.service arducopter.service ardurover.service

[Service]
EnvironmentFile=/etc/default/ardupilot

###############################################################################
####### DO NOT EDIT ABOVE THIS LINE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU"RE DOING #########

Uncomment and modify this line if you want to launch your own binary

ExecStart=/bin/sh -c “/opt/ardupilot/navio2/arducopter/arducopter ${ARDUPILOT_OPTS}”

CAUTION

There should be only one uncommented ExecStart in this file

######## DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS LINE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU"RE DOING ########

Restart=on-failure

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.targetpilot/

Now there is some action:

If needed rename the old file,

Last login: Sat Aug 5 05:52:25 2017 from marcmacpro.home
pi@navio:~ $ mv arducopter arducopter3.5.rc11

Import new firmware:

pi@navio:~ $ wget http://firmware.eu.ardupilot.org/Copter/stable/navio2/arducopter
–2017-08-05 05:56:10-- http://firmware.eu.ardupilot.org/Copter/stable/navio2/arducopter
Resolving firmware.eu.ardupilot.org (firmware.eu.ardupilot.org)… 5.79.68.155
Connecting to firmware.eu.ardupilot.org (firmware.eu.ardupilot.org)|5.79.68.155|:80… connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response… 200 OK
Length: 1244444 (1.2M)
Saving to: ‘arducopter’

arducopter 100%[========================================================================================
==>] 1.19M 54.1KB/s in 21s

2017-08-05 05:56:31 (58.2 KB/s) - ‘arducopter’ saved [1244444/1244444]

Change permission on the file

pi@navio:~ $ chmod +x arducopter

Copy the file in the place you want (I created a directory /arducopter in /opt/ardupilot/navio2)

You can forget this and launch the arducopter file from pi@navio… if you want…

pi@navio:~ $ sudo cp -i arducopter /opt/ardupilot/navio2/arducopter/
cp: overwrite ‘/opt/ardupilot/navio2/arducopter/arducopter’? yes

When done, enable ardupilot then reboot and do your settings with Mission planner.

pi@navio:~ $ sudo systemctl enable ardupilot
Created symlink from /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ardupilot.service to /etc/systemd/system/ardupilot.service.
pi@navio:~ $ sudo reboot

2 Likes

lol,

@mlebret, wow, wasn’t expecting such an informative reply; while very helpful, it doesn’t quite answer my question and concern that Emlid may be loosing interest in supporting their product.

@igor.vereninov, Any update as to when the Arducopter 3.5 update will be available in the “update -upgrade” process?

Its pretty clear Emlid no longer is supporting the Navio project, or Ardupilot has made deliberate efforts to make it increasingly difficult for Emlid to keep their distribution up to date (considering the main Ardupilot developers have very close ties with the Pixhawk “commercialization efforts”). I’m not sure what happened with Navio, but unless something changes; I wouldn’t recommend you invest in using it for your project if you want to easily keep using the latest code releases.

Guys, sorry for keeping you in the dark.

The new release is on the way out. We need some time to test it in the air before the launch.
The leap between Jessie and Stretch is 2 years and hence there’s a lot of parts that needed careful testing. We’ll add a couple of new features also that will make the experience with Navio more seamless.

We do support Navio project. The lower activity on the forum in fact points that most of the features function as expected. We want to make the experience as pleasant as possible. We do try to accelerate the testing of new ArduPilot releases (3.5.2 is only 2 weeks) and we’re almost ready to roll. For the time being the option to use the already built binaries (no compilation and heavy stuff needed) is there!

3 Likes

Status on this?

3 posts were split to a new topic: How to select a frame type on ArduCopter-3.5

Further discussions are better suited over here. Thanks!