The RTK boat project

Hi there!
Great stuff you are doing there!
I’m waiting for my reach rtk kit to try what you did but with an Humminbird Helix.
Goal is to do accurate underwater mapping with cm accuracy for Archeological purposes.
Just wondering… do you have any tipps about the NMEA wiring with sonar devices?

Thanks in advanced!

The VERY HIGHLY paid harbor pilot boat captains will have no interest in cm level gps guided accuracy which could take away their job. Well, they still will be needed in certain tidal and inlet situations.

Are you referring to the wiring from the transducer to the Helix? Or connecting Reach to the nmea network?

I mean connecting Reach to the nmea network.

Do you have the AT adapter? and is it Reach or ReachRS you are connecting?

wifi is your friend the humminbird can be networked, once networked…

If Humminbird allows for non-party device to connect that is really cool. Simrad has wifi too but has stright proprietary rules.

The DIY rig for the pole holds well in rough conditions.

5 Likes

My project is literally on ice at the moment. Looking forward to the spring

5 Likes

Tsk, Tsk, and to think you could have bought an airboat instead

I hear the ride is a bit rough on the ice though. :wink:

2 Likes

:joy::joy:

Well, while your at it, how do you get the transducer to work above the ice??? Huh, huh , huh :joy::joy:

Good point! I think you lower the ripper and the transducer pole follows behind :interrobang:
C10082047

2 Likes

That looks like something from tranformers or a farmers plowing device/thingy :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Always with the puns :joy:

3 Likes

Thee old dozer ripper!

Hi: I’m in the process of doing my own testing with Lowrance and are trying to repeat everything described here. Thank you TB_RTK for the very detailed description and guidance. However, I’m a bit stuck with wiring up the RS NMEA 0183 cable with the Simrad AT10 NMEA 0183 to 2000 converter. The wire diagram for the AT10 has the following description:
White – Rx+ (A) (From NMEA “Talker”)
Brown – Rx- (B) (From NMEA “Talker”)
Yellow – Tx+ (A) (From NMEA “Listener”)
Green – Tx- (B) (From NMEA “Listener”)

The RS Cable Diagram shows this:
Red - GND
Black - GND
Green - GND
Blue - Event
Yellow - PPS
Orange - Rx
Brown - Tx
Gray - 5V 1A output
Violet - 5-40 V input
Bare Ground wire

Need some help figuring out what wires to connect.

Rx+ to Rx?
Rx- to Ground? Which one?
Tx+ to Tx?
Tx- to Ground? Which one?

Do I need to connect anything else? The NMEA2000 network will be powered already.

Thanks for the help!

Ray

As I recall it was only two wires used. One of them is ground and think the Rx+ on nmea adapter goes to Tx+ on reach. Rx- on adapter goes to e.g black on reach
I can check next time I am in the boat.

This helped me in the beginning.
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/gmdss/taskForce/NMEA_7.pdf

1 Like

Thank you TB! Yup, you are correct. This was from Tatiana at Emlid

Hi Ray,

Reach should be a talker in that scheme, so you need to connect Reach TX wire to RX+ wire of the adapter. RX- adapter wire should be connected to any Reach ground pin.

Thanks!

Tatiana Andreeva
Application Engineer
Emlid

1 Like