The New ReachView 3 is out

Hey!

Thanks for the kind words :slight_smile:

Could you please elaborate what you mean by Easy Description input? What would be useful to make the process easier?

Really wish alternatives to the base map like DXF or Georeferenced PDF or Images for stake outs, I second your request for COGO functions, [P,E,N, elevation, Feature Code, Description way of importing, exporting and measuring in field, where Feature Code is like the main descriptor of measured or imported points. That way we could be looking at a future where we might turn off all points with same Feature Code like Layers.

3 Likes

Absolutely,

Our work flow is as follows.

Crew 1 is assigned a point range of 2000’s. Therefore the autoupdate point name (we use it for numbers) is great as he can assign 2000 and it will go up from there.
He does topo and planimetric work on a site and defines the features he sees, so when he takes a shot on the Edge of Concrete it is coded as (EC1) then his next shot on the same piece of Concrete is still (EC1) when he moves up to his next piece of concrete that is seperate he codes it (EC2). This applys for all features on site(BLDG,EC,EP,WDF…)(building,edge of concrete, edge of pavement, wood fence…). We also use special codes for begginng a line and ending a line (EC1 *bl) would Edge of Concrete 1 begin line; and (EC1 *el) would be Edge of Concrete 1 end line. Once we have begun a line as long as it matches the code prior to the (“space”*bl) it will continue the line on the map until it sees the same code (EC1) with a (“space”*el) after it. This helps our field crewes visualize in the field that they have surveyed all they need to as they can go back over it and make sure they captured everything.

The description field as you have it now I believe we would need to click into another menu to update. We would also need to update it for every shot as I dont think it currently holds the last description used. This creates a significant amount more clicks than I feel may be needed.

Again Yall have done an amazing job so far and I am very impressed. For my needs this would take it to the next level. The other things I mentioned would be good additions as well.

Let me know if that makes since, and if not I can try and explain further.

4 Likes

Hi Egor

Thanks again for your support! Feeling good in this community :+1:

Heinrich

7 Likes

So Basically what EC1, EC1bl, EC1el would be is the Feature Code. So you can radically add a feature library or list ahead of time or add feature code on the fly, so when you move to pick a new fearture you’d just select from like a drop down tile to pick what feature you’re picking coordinates of.

A description tab can exist to help with adding info field guys can use to understand and identify without needing the field guy.

1 Like

Yes sir. That would work. Ive seen it done like that, where the description tab would be more detailed, while the feature code field would be the abbreviated code.

1 Like

A csv or txt file with the most used attributes would be very useful to avoid entering a different attribute each time.

2 Likes

Great thing besides code/description list, and cogo functions will be to have something like
share project and share my NTRIP profiles.
That way we users can easily continue to work on another device or quckly share with their coworkers.

I hope one day reach view 3 will have a lot of advanced tools like cogo,linework, local transformation-field calibration, user deffined cs,GIS attributes, etc. that FieldGenius and Surv PC have for example

1 Like

I forgot to mention
SETTINGS PROFILES (user defined settings profile so user can quickly change profile and continue to work and not to enter every tab and change values)

eg.
BASE NTRIP profile (1 Hz, correction output NTRIP, etc.)
BASE RADIO profile (1 Hz, correction output LoRa, etc.)
ROVER NTRIP (5 Hz, correction input NTRIP, BT on,position output BT - if using with 3rd party app like FG,…)

2 Likes

Hi @Doppler_Uav,

The workflow you’ve described is similar to the Stop-and-Go feature. You can collect points with a Single solution status and then post-process each point using timestamps from CSV. We don’t support it so far. However, it’s in our roadmap.

2 Likes

Hi Mario,

I’ve noted your requests. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @svetlana.nikolenko hope it’s going great over there.
I have been doing some stakeout and have a request:
For stakeout distance under 9999.999 units, please keep the distance displayed as the smaller units.
For example:

9995.000 USFt stake distance would be displayed but
10001.000 USft would display 1.89 miles

At the moment, it is switching units at xxx.xxx where 999.999 is displayed in USFt, but 1001.000 is displayed as decimal miles.

I really need the smaller unit precision while staking out section corners over long distances (xxxx.xxx figures of the smaller unit)

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

I agree - stakeout distance should always show the full precision regardless of the distance (i.e. 3 decimal places for metric). It would be great if you could add the azimuth too (nearest second of arc please!). This would enable staking of lines between two points without having to implement a full line stakeout feature. Having the option to use delta easting/northing for stakeout would be handy.

3 Likes

Hi @geohawk,

May I ask you to describe the situation in which you needed more precise numbers at long distances? How will you use these distance values specifically in your project? This will help us better understand the context and find the right solution.

Hi,
Sounds good :wink: Livingstone in SH, northern germany, using WGS84 it would be great being able to use the correct vertical datum.
Seeing forward :wink:

1 Like

Hi @ivan.korenev, gladly.
In the US, we have a grid system that is apprx 1mile by 1 mile in dimension.
All Cadastral surveys in most US States are based off of these grids, which means any large survey done here requires proper measurements of the monuments which are placed on this massive 1x1 mile grid. (5280 ft)

Often, it is the case that we know what the distance from one corner or monument to another is, for instance, 5268 US Survey Feet. (not quite a mile) .

We will find one monument, and then need to search for another at the corner of that same grid (e.g. found the Northeast corner, now need to find the Southeast corner).

So, we go where it “should” be, and search for a while (too long) and can’t find it.
Using a “stakeout” from the Northeast Corner, we know the exact distance to the Southeast corner (which we’re looking for, but is probably buried underground) and we simply take the lovely RS2 to exactly 5268 ft and search that spot on the ground.
Yes, that is a circle, and makes an arc, but it is easy to use two references and “wiggle” into the correct spot.

Thus, the stakeout tool is used to measure the exact spacing between a previously measured monument, and the one we’re looking for.

This is used for property corners as well.
In theory, this could be done in CAD, but the problem often is that the references provided use magnetic declination, which can easily be a few degrees off (a few degrees of 5000ft is ~175ft !

So, being able to hold the stakeout distance to a known point and swing the radius arc to find the unfound point is useful.

The problem currently is, that the units displayed turn to miles once 999.999 Ft is reached…

This isn’t helpful, because I need accuracy to within about 0.1ft at distances of 6000ft during stakeout.

Hope this helps

7 Likes

Hi Marc,

I’ve had the same suggestion and got an answer here, Emlid is working on it.

Cheers,

Markus

That’s a great explanation, thank you! I’ve noted your request.

3 Likes

I trying to use the RV3 .CSV with a stop-and-go workflow, but I find that the timestamps are in the local time (here currently UTC+1), not UTC. This creates all kinds of potential sources of error.
From RV2, the export was always in UTC.
Any particular reason why it was changed to something more cumbersome to use?

2 Likes

Hi.
I’m working as a dealer in Norway, and I like the ReachView3’s simplicity, but I do have some suggestions for changes that can generate more sales here in Norway.

1: Some way to enter new point coordinates will be really useful for simply add an point in field.
2: “Save Button” in stake out, this will improve the documentation of delta values.
3: Draw a line while collecting data. This way it will be easier to interpret data at the office SW.
4: Implement more export formats like DXF, TXT, XML, GML, etc I know some of this formats requires more resources , but I think DXF and TXT doesn’t require a lot.

I read about functions like stake line, volumes, COGO ets in this community, and I understand that this require more resources. I think some of the customers are willing to pay for this futures, maybe even on the google play account, and as an subscription.

I hope you find some of my ideas interesting, and I hope to here from you.

Thanks
Øivind

10 Likes