Survey kit with two Reach M2 units?

Hi Roshan and Michael,

@roshanahmd, thank you for the thorough description of your use case. @michaelL thank you for the very reasonable proposition.

Indeed, I can agree with Michael that the drone mapping will definitely ease the job in such tasks as mapping the boundaries, contours and internal roads on such a scale. You can use the drone equipped with a camera with hot-shoe access if it is possible to borrow one. With a properly collected dataset and M2 on that drone, it should be easy to achieve the centimeter accuracy of your orthophoto plan. Also, you can place GCPs in PPK mode with two M2s. I recommend checking this thread on that.

Regarding the tree location task, I’d say that it might be a relatively challenging in the dense forests even for multi-band receivers like M2 and RS2 because they would still encounter the signal deflection from the trees from time to time. Also, during PPK it is a bit more tricky to predict whether you will achieve a fix solution on the post-processing during the survey itself. Plus, as Michael noted, you need to decide whether you really need to have their position to be centimeter-accurate.

Additionally, I need to clarify, that the LoRa signal as any radio signal is prone to deflection too, that is why using LoRa in the forest might be not really stable. As an alternative, you can send the corrections over the Internet through a free caster like RTK2Go.

A pair of RS2 will be way more suitable for the surveying tasks as it is built for such applications. It could be easily mounted onto the tripod and the survey pole, it is fully autonomous as it has a robust battery and the shock-, dust- and waterproof case. The built-in antenna does not require an additional ground plane. We recommend using RS2 in survey projects which should cover areas of such size due to it is already a complete package with the list of pros I’ve listed above. The M2 is capable of doing the same job, but it involves way more setup preparations like power supply, fastening to the survey pole, preparation of the ground plane and etc.

Summing that up I’d say that the minimal setup would look like this:

I’d also recommend checking these guides on our site:

Feel free to address your concerns if you have any.

4 Likes