RV3: SAPOS / Skylark ... how to align?

Dear all,

Out of curiosity, I subscribed to Skylark correction services for one month.

Normally I use SAPOS (a service provided by the German state); it provides 1cm accuracy horizontally and 2cm vertically.

Skylark is a different cup of tea, I know, but ReachView showed accuracies of 2cm horizontally and 4cm vertically. Great!

(Will try CubeA5 and FieldGenius later.)

Now I am trying to figure out how to get ETRS89 (SAPOS) and ITRF2014 (Skylark) coordinates lined up.

*Edit

One German federal state (Saarland) even uses Bessel and GK.

*Edit

The difference in position is always around 50cm.

Is it possible to measure a point with bases sending corrections in different reference systems and obtain (almost) equal coordinates? :crazy_face:

If yes, I would be happy to know how. :smiley:

Kind Regards

Buddy

Hi @buddybuxbaum,

Sorry for the silence here!

Skylark is a different cup of tea, I know, but ReachView showed accuracies of 2cm horizontally and 4cm vertically. Great!

Sounds nice! Thanks for sharing your results :slightly_smiling_face:

Is it possible to measure a point with bases sending corrections in different reference systems and obtain (almost) equal coordinates?

Each CS you can work with in ReachView 3 has one corresponding base datum. If you use another base datum, it’ll cause a shift in the rover’s coordinates. So, you’ll need some additional software to get all the coordinates in the same CS. A GIS app or an online converter can help with it.

@buddybuxbaum,

Just thought you also can try out the Base shift workaround described in this thread. I haven’t tried it myself, but I think it may help in your case!

1 Like

Kseniia, that’s a great idea! :smiley:

I’m going to give it a try and report later.

Many thanks.

Buddy

1 Like

Buddy,

Would be glad to know if it suits you!

Hello Kseniia,

Brief update:

First I measured a random point on my terrace with SAPOS. All sigma values were 1cm. I only took 150 samples, then switched over to SKYLARK Europe L1/L2.
All sigma values were 1cm as well, which I found fascinating. The rover hadn’t moved and I took 150 samples again. After that I calculated the base shift and re-measured the point. Please have a look at the pictures attached to assess the improvement.

Regards

Buddy

Buddy,

Looks much better after the base shift :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks for sharing!

You’re right, Kseniia.

Shifting the base is an acceptable approach to solving the problem.

Nevertheless, I canceled the subscription, because for the time being the service needs too much time to get a fixed solution and the consistency of positions (test-retest reliability) doesn’t meet our requirements.

However, thumbs up for Skylark.

Let’s close the thread. :laughing:

Regards

Buddy

1 Like