RS2 Future Want List

SBAS functionality

Specifically as a “fallback” when using the RS2 as a rover receiver, and we lose cellular/mobile service or LoRa connection but can still get sub-metre level positioning via SBAS augmentation.

2 Likes

IMU functionality

For Precision Ag auto-steer and related machine control functions.

Currently if using an RS2 or and RS(+) as a rover receiver a separate, discrete IMU is needed for terrain compensation in auto-steer applications. If the IMU hardware is there in the receiver it would be useful to be able to leverage it.

TSIP protocol support

OK so this is clearly a long shot! But hey why not ask nicely…

One “use case” I have come across with farmers who have existing third party (well let’s not beat about the bush…Trimble) auto-steer or guidance that is currently not unlocked for or able to natively provide RTK accuracy.

They are looking at hooking up say an RS2 rover on their tractor and sending RTK corrected position output directly to their existing Trimble displays or steering controllers. Why - to unlock RTK on some of these displays or receivers often costs many, many thousands.

The issue is that these units generally only will allow a TSIP enabled receiver (read a Trimble family receiver) to provide this, rather than generic NMEA 0183 input.

3 Likes

I read a while back on the ublox forum that the ZED can do sbas but the reason it is turned off is that it takes away resources on the chip and if enabled you would lose channels so that is why it is set up like it is.

4 Likes

Absolut GNSS antenna calibration

The following agencies/firms offer the individual absolute calibration of GNSS antenna/radome pairs meeting the current IGS requirements for receiver antenna calibrations:

4 Likes

GNSS and IMU fusion.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0263224118307899#f0005

The data is in there as you point out but I sure agree be nice to make natively available without running own code on unit. Tremendous applicability for lots of users across all sectors to just have sitting there is silly…

5 Likes

How much (spare) processing power and memory is there on the RS2 to run one’s “own code” (with quad-core processor and 16GB)?

Anyone know or have a view? Would there be more or less compute power than the last generation Pi for example?

I’m sure it’s been mentioned before but I’d like to see the ability to use other coordinate systems and vertical datums. Perhaps the ability to load a PROJ4 definition and select this as the output in Survey mode?

8 Likes

yup, that’s been SCREAMED FOR a good while now…let’s see what happens.

1 Like

Yes, or just put the whole Proj4 library onboard :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Agreed, but I’d also like to be able to load custom proj4 definitions.

1 Like

It would be useful to have the possibility to store in Reachview more different profiles of receipt of the ntrip correction. Each provider will have a profile with a different name. As it is now, parameters must be written manually each time.

1 Like

I’d just settle for keeping/restoring the parameters after a ReachView upgrade. :grin:

Get Apple to allow you to be an authorized bluetooth device so it can mask location to iOS devices!

We would appreachiate this very much :slight_smile:

Some cities are restricted to iOS devices. For our own solution using the TCP stream might work (though we have not implemented this feature yet) but there are other apps like ArcGIS collector which only support bluetooth devices.

1 Like

I would love the ability to bring in my own Geotiff base map on the survey map view.

I want to see the precision (I believe this is being fixed) and I would like to be able to change between RMS, 2RMS, SD, 2SD… Etc…

The ability to load in a basic shapefile, geopackage, dxf, etc. For reference would be an asset.

i don’t recall if there is the ability to switch between DMS, DdM or dD… But if not that would help a lot too.

1 Like

hi tatiana
do you have any internal data on how long the battery would last? how many hours of observation time before charge holding capacity goes down?

Hi @jjb,

Reach RS2 internal battery handles up to 22 hours of autonomous work when logging data and up to 16 hours as a 3G rover.

Hi Tatiana
What I mean is how long before battery degrades to holding say only 50% charge? How many months? Years?

Hi, the Lithium-Iron-Phosphate (LiFePO4) chemistry of the internal battery is incredibly robust and will last thousands of cycles so I would estimate at least 5 years before you see a 20% reduction in capacity (assuming you cycle every-day)…

The Lithium chemistry in phones and laptops is different as they are designed to have higher capacity over a shorter lifespan… Say 300 cycles until 80% of original capacity.

It would still be nice the get some info from Emlid as without a doubt they have the datasheet from the battery supplier.

3 Likes

Hi, a free input field aside the point name during a survey would be pretty convenient for a bunch of users here in France. One need to add a code to a point to automatically draw it in AutoCAD or other CAD softwares. That code would be exported in the CSV content.
Also, VERY IMPORTANT for most of the potential users here : be able to select a projection for the survey, both for survey and stake out. What about the proj4 library ?

4 Likes

Access to more than just MSM4 message types in base mode.

We know it’s possible in ublox-ville, but Reachview land needs some tweaks.

At leas MSM7 and classic 1004/1012 options (with 1007/1008) would be a nice starter for ten.:grinning:

7 Likes