RPI4 libboost 1.67 error - run custom ROS nodes

@jaelpark I believe I was wrong, while you don’t have to use buster on rpi4 and can flash any distro you want on it, it seems that Buster is the recommend OS. Operating system images – Raspberry Pi

As for the ROS version to use with Buster, ROS supports Buster with ROS Noetic. See: REP 3 -- Target Platforms (ROS.org)

Hi!

I am also having libboost errors while trying to run custom ROS nodes on Debian Buster. After removing ROS kinetic packages

apt remove --purge ros-kinetic-*
apt autoremove --purge

I was able to compile the ros_base variant of ROS Noetic on Debian Buster by running

export SSL_CERT_FILE=/usr/lib/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt
export ROS_PYTHON_VERSION=3

and then following the instructions on

http://wiki.ros.org/noetic/Installation/Source

I tried to install ROS Noetic using Ubuntu Focal repositories, but that didn’t go very well. @acxz how did you manage to install ros-noetic-ros-base as mentioned in PR #6 of the pi-gen-navio repository?

I think that supporting Ubuntu 20.04 (18.04) would be a better fit to run ROS Noetic (Melodic) without Ardupilot stack. In that way, you could have all the precompiled binaries for ROS and things would be a lot easier. You can check out (and support) this forum post regarding that topic

Hello @guido_sanchez, that codebase is to create a Navio image with ros-noetic preinstalled. If you follow that repo’s instructions, instead of trying to remove kinetic and then install noetic from an existing image, it should work.

We have released the new image for Navio2 with ROS Noetic support. You can check out the details in this community forum thread: