Recording 2 or more static receivers at the same time to be static processed

Hello!
Is it possible to do a static processing on Emlid Studio using 2 or more receivers recording at the same time? In some of our surveys we are required by the client to use more than 2 receivers recording at the same time in order to have a better “positioning triangulation”. So I want to setup 2 rovers and 1 base logging at the same time and then do a static post processing using Emlid Studio 1.8. Is it possible or do i have to use a 3rd party software using the created rinex files?

2 Likes

Emlid Studio is only a single baseline processor. With that being said, you can still have an indication of your error of closure. You have a 3 baseline loop (closed polygon).

If your processing the base from point 1 (base fixed) to point 2 and you have a good result for point 2, then start a new processing from the computed position of 2 to point 3 . If it’s a good solution, then hold point 3 and process back to point 1. If you have a perfect closure (which is seldom possible) then you know your data is good.

However, very seldom you’ll have a perfect closure. Compute the original point 1 in your state plane coordinate system and the same for your closing point back to point 1. Simply inverse the distance between both planar coordinates and you’ll have your linear error of closure of precision.

If you have traversed in your loop 20,000’ and your misclosure is 0.12’, then your linear error of closure is 1’ in 166, 666’. Which is pretty good. However you have the angular error per point to consider.

In the early days of surveying (pre electronic measurements, field computers) various methods of balancing a traverse was performed either by Crandall’s Rule of adjustments, Compass Rule, Transit Rule or Least Squares adjustments. Each has their use based on the type measurements performed. Least Squares is usually used in precise measurements.

So there you go, Emlid Studio can compute closed polygon measurements and give an indication of accuracy. It’s up to the user to understand the various methods of adjustments and perform the adjustments.

Maybe sometime soon I’ll explain with an example if I have time in my busy schedule, but learning by the user is generally full filling and fun in learning !

3 Likes

You can do this processing with the National Geodetic Survey’s (NGS) OPUS Projects. You will need to sign up and take their multi-day course, but once you have taken the course you will have access to the software for processing multiple baseline GNSS static observations. I did this when working on remote Pacific islands where there were no CORS nearby.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your answer!

Your reply is pretty much what I was thinking of doing, however some people consider it an “informal” way of calculating (even tho the math checks out) and many of my clients like the idea of it being a “whole system” instead of calculating a base and rover and then computing the rover to an acheived set of coordinates on the first calculation. (Like checking one against the other.)

I just wanted to be sure if it was something you could do on Emlid Studio, because I was very familiar processing multiple points together on older software like topcon tools or magnet tools. etc. And presenting the diagram of how my system was setup in order to achieve a good positioning triangulation, mainly on the base receiver.

2 Likes

Hi @josue.miguel.23, welcome to the community!

Currently, Emlid Studio supports post-processing data from one base and one rover at a time. However, your requirement to process multiple data receivers simultaneously is a valuable suggestion. I’ll add yours as +1 to the feature request.

Also, thanks to @EBE111057 for sharing your ideas about this and @ryanenorth for the alternative suggestion.

2 Likes