Real world surveying RS2 with SurvCE or FieldGenius

The co$t too! ; )

2 Likes

Yes,
$40k compared to under $5kā€¦ BUT the Trimble has been dropped around 30 times and it still keeps going, tough stuff.
Canā€™t say yet if the Emlid can-will take that abuseā€¦?

4 Likes

LandXML and surface staking is huge in construction! We started testing it about a month ago so hopefully itā€™s pretty Rock solid for you.

4 Likes
1 Like

Yeah, Trimble and Leica the bestā€¦ but if a $35,000 difference, thatā€™s a lot of bubble wrap for the receiver.

3 Likes

I see they have release the videos of the 1.9 FGA software release, but I havenā€™t gotten a notice nor am I able to download it from the portal. Hopefully they will be releasing it soon and hopefully it fixes the issues I have been having with version 1.8. Iā€™m unable to stake out even one point before it crashes, and it is corrupting my dxf/dwg files. I see they have some updated drivers for some additional units, Stonex S980A, CHCi73, Pentex G7, Pentax G6J2, E-Survey E-500 receivers, but nothing yet for the Emlid brand. I was thinking if it had a native driver for the Emlid system, that it might run a little more stable then it has been.
I donā€™t know if it is an Emlid or MicroSurvey FGA issue with releasing drivers for the software.

2 Likes

They havenā€™t updated the Emlid RS driver in some time. Prob just a generic NMEA driver just renamed anyways. If the Emlid receivers had special features such as tilt compensation with digital bubble, then seems they would have to provide a new driver.

Seems they cater more so to all those ā€œotherā€ brands, except Trimble and Topcon as they wonā€™t work with them obviously since they have their ā€œownā€ software.

3 Likes

Not sure this is causing your file corruptionā€¦ but a link anyways:

2 Likes

I have to disagree with you, try out Javad. Itā€™s the best out there. Their systems were developed by Land Surveyors for Land Surveyors. We were in the trial team when the Triumph LS was first developed about 5 years ago. Itā€™ll go places where you canā€™t even see the sky and has various routines to verify a point. Their methodology is totally different from any of the major players. Javad was the man who helped Charlie Trimble to get started by developing Trimbleā€™s first receiver and wholehandly developed the firmware and software back in the 80ā€™s. Itā€™s sad the land surveying community lost him this past year due to covid, but his team is carrying onward.

I think Emlid is fast becoming a reasonably priced entry system for land surveyors and the drone mapping communities. Emlid reminds me of the early days and has a bright future.

4 Likes

Greetings
Do you have the app installed on internal memory or uSD card?

2 Likes

Doesnā€™t really matter since you could purchase 8 Emlid receivers fior the price of 1 Trimble
The Emlids may not be as durable (havenā€™t seen anyone doing drop comparisons) but should be good enough

2 Likes

Agree.

I ran across them years agoā€¦ (https://www.javad.com/) but RAN away real quick after I saw the priceā€¦ especially when you start adding on the necessities to the BASE price and your limbs start disappearing. : /

Yeah, no, not for me. You must drive a Lamborghini everyday to a site? Ha! Jk. ; )

2 Likes

I have the app installed on the internal memory. If the 1.9 update doesnā€™t come soon, Iā€™m going to try to do a uninstall and then reinstall the app and see if that helps. I really like the program when it is working, though there has been crashing issues with the later versions with the app using the Emlid receivers for me. I see they have also updated the PC version of FieldGenius to version 11, so I might download the demo version and see if that is any more stable.

2 Likes

It is not official on my portal either but I will check in with support to see if there is an anticipated release. So far in testing it has been better but I am still experiencing slowdowns after about 10 points which if related to time is about 45 minutes - 1 hour for me usually.

2 Likes

The PC version been around since the beginning of time, matured, and loaded full of the features the Android version still incorporating.

Just isnā€™t super light weight physically and power consumption wise like the overall Android setup.

1 Like

Thanks, that is the version ( V1.8.2.5720) that Iā€™m currently on and experiencing problems with. Hopefully v1.9 will correct some of the issues Iā€™m having.

1 Like

Slightly off topic here, has anyone found a 3.5g SIM card for the rs2? Iā€™m seeing a lot of conflicting information as to what will work (no 4g)?

We did score a sweet pelican case for the recievers, super happy how compact our base/rover setup is now, very portable!

1 Like

You can search hereā€¦ but I think Verizon doesnā€™t work? But AT&T does?

EDIT:

Some further reading:

Hi David,

Welcome to our community!

We have COGO and the site calibration feature in our roadmap. However, I can hardly provide any ETAs for now.

Carlson SurvPC stopped supporting our devices a while ago. As Michael noticed, some of our users configure a generic NMEA profile to integrate Reach with Carlson SurvPC. You can check how to configure the position output from Reach in the Position streaming tab. Carlson should support receiving correction in NMEA format via Bluetooth.

Weā€™ve tested T-Mobile and AT&T SIM cards and can confirm they work. However, any other GSM SIM card with 2G, 3G, or 3.5G support should work fine as well. Please note that SIM cards that use M2M are not supported at the moment since such technology requires authentication by username and password.

5 Likes

RS2 Units are working flawlessly with Calson SurvCE on the Surveyor2 data collector using Generic NMEA. Still need to play wih these as network rovers with NtRIP or SIM. Thanks all for your time and advice.

5 Likes