ReachView 2 beta Suggestions/features request

Please add support for more Projections: Gauss Krüger M34 would be nice!

so far,
axp

1 Like

For the new survey section, is it possible to add the time start and end for each point occupation in the table? Some points that we can’t get a RTK fix for need to be post processed later in the office, but it can be a pain to find the exact time for the start and end of the occupation from the combined log. This saves trying to write it down manually.

4 Likes

@Luke_Wijnberg This change is already in our plan of table rework.

ID | Point Name | Date | Start Time | End Time | Projected X | Projected Y | Projected Z | X | Y | Z | Antenna Height | Solution Status | σE | σN | σU | RMS | Age of differential | AR

Do you have something to add?

3 Likes

Perhaps number of meaned obs?
Looks well and cant wait.

2 Likes

Heres another suggestion, some of the upper end field controllers allow you to take a picture of the measure point. This is sometimes helpful to identify it later with some metadata as to what the point actually is.

2 Likes

I build autonomous tractors and I have been using their internal GPS receivers to survey fields. It’s far from exact to try to line a tractor with a 20’ implement up against a property line/pole/etc. For me, the frequent result is that I stray where I don’t want to be or I’m overly cautious and leave big gaps.

Yesterday I clamped the Reach RS to my ATV rack and drove around a field I need to plant. Then I brought the RS home and ran the logs through GPSbabel to get a GPX file for QGIS. It works so well!

I’m trying to finish planting that field today and I ran into a couple drainage tile holes. Rather than line up the tractor with each one, I had the tractor resume planting and I placed the RS in each hole to get a position. I then sent off the positions to my tile repair folks.

Some suggestions/requests:

1. It would be handy to have GPX logging. I can use GPSbabel without much effort but I’m recommending this to folks for whom this is an impediment.

2. I’d like to have a way to quickly cut and paste the current location from the Web interface. It would be ideal to have a link to Google for the current location. Then I could easily share it.

3. It would help me to be able to trigger a logging event using the (power) button. That would allow me to, for example, just log the vertices of a field boundary, or each tile hole so that I wouldn’t have to sift through the captured data to find the points I want.

Nice job! The RS is slick. I’m already starting to tell people they need to have these.

4 Likes

I’ ve found two bugs in the ERB protocol used to talk to ardupilot:

1. Ground course it not correcly calculated, this messes up applications with no magnetometer or aplications where multiple GPSs are used. The other GPS calculates this right and reach wrong, hence a clash !!
  2. hdop and vdop are xchanged with each other. A typical copy-paste error.

Please fix this !!! I already submited two PRs with the fixes, just merge them and do a release :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Age of differential and ambiguity ratio were amazing pieces of information to have added to ReachView last year.

In the spirit of better awareness, especially when wondering why the status has not yet changed from float to fix, a little more information would be nice to have.

Possibly a troubleshooting field or tab with:

• elapsed time since ambiguity ratio was reset
  • reason ambiguity ratio was reset
  • AOD too high
  • multi-satellite cycle slip
  • poor SNR
  • too few satellites
  • user changed RTK setting, etc.
  • a history of last 5 reasons the ambiguity ratio was reset
  • helpful suggestions to avoid that particular situation happening again
  • state names for the filter, and a status display showing the current state
  • elapsed time in current state

Does anything else come to mind that would be useful?

2 Likes

Those are very nice sugestions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Continuing from the thread above where we were talking about the behaviour of some wireless devices that will silently switch Wi-Fi networks in the background (certain Android devices for sure). Then in the case where you have two Reach units in close proximity and in hotspot mode, and your device switches Wi-Fi networks to the other Reach without you knowing, you could end up seeing status from the wrong Reach or perhaps applying settings to the wrong Reach.

To prevent that happening, I wonder if the mac address or a unique ID of some sort could be incorporated in the http request (or similar), so that either Reach or your device will be aware of the switch and then produce an error message to alert you about the switch and instruct you to switch back to the other Wi-Fi network if you want to continue working with that Reach device.

1 Like

Agree - It would be great to access Google Earth or Maps or ESRI’s Map server which has some free streams in the maps on the status and in the survey page of Reachview.

Many GIS packages like QGIS or GlobalMapper access these servers for free. The satellite images generally come from Digitalglobe and have high resolution down to about 0.5 m.

An orthophoto is very handy to help ground truth survey data.

Also the OpenStreet maps dont show much when you get away from civilization.

1 Like

On top page, clearer status with figure % left of battery charge and Lora signal strength.
Reboot button would be nice.

1 Like
  1. Cartographic projections - in my case US State Plane Coordinates - typically US feet - NAD83 datum.
  2. Add Geoids and conversion to orthometric heights.
  3. Option for working in US Survey feet and International Feet in addition to meters.
  4. Option to import and overlay site maps as DWG, DXF or selected GIS formats.
  5. Option to add offsets for points that GPS rover cannot reach due to cover or interference.
  6. Point description shortcuts.

Review of functionality of other field software like Carlson SurvCE, Mobile Topographer etc may be useful.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: No fix. Solution jumps around

The Survey app works great!

Some suggestions

1. Ability to export the points as a text file or csv file including Point No., Description, Northing, Easting, Elevation, quality parameter such as A/R ratio, time of execution.

2. A way to store the output format so it can be easily reused

3. To get the data into most engineering software like Civil3D and Carlson - Land XML is a non proprietary file format.

Thanks, John.

Really looking forward to getting to work with “stop and go” functionality when it becomes available. From collecting data and applying PPK corrections, I’ve been able to more-or-less isolate the point clusters I want to work with. However, it necessitates maintaining pretty constant movement between locations I’d like to survey, or remembering to move immediately off of a point after I’ve finished collecting the data so I can pick out the points I want later.

As someone who’s pretty new to the world of RTK/PPK/ and high-powered GPSs in general, I would love to see some sort of “help” option or built-in description of the different settings that can be accessed from ReachView, especially as I’m now trying to figure out the best settings for using PPK on a pair of Reach RS modules acting as a rover and base. Maybe this could be accessible as a hover-over pop-up description, or perhaps simply as an expanded tutorial/manual on the Emlid website?

Thank you!

1 Like

This may have been mentioned already, but can there be an update that, when your unit is operating in base mode using average position, it saves a copy of your position that can be downloaded later?
More than once I’ve used RTK in the field, gotten home, and realized that I can’t properly correct my survey points because I forgot to manually record where my base thought it was located. That’s always a heartbreaking realization.

Thank you!

On my unit logging is on by default, is this not the case in all units?

Logging is on for my unit as well, but when the base averages points to determine its location for RTK, it doesn’t maintain a record of what the averaged base position was that was used to offset the rover’s position after the rover has been turned off.

User should be able to select a folder for saving files (e.g. to external SD card), in particular log files that can be large.