Reach USB to Pc

A walkthrough: USB-to-PC driver installation for Reach RS+ / M+ on a Windows 10 PC

I have a Windows 10 computer here in front of me and a Reach RS+. I turn Reach on, then I open Device Manager and plug in Reach RS+ with the USB cable. Reach is visible there under Other Devices; Reach +. No driver is installed.

Now I open Zadig 2.3 by right-click and Run as Administrator. Reach+ is detected and is the currently selected device. I use the arrow buttons to select a different driver: USB serial (CDC), then click Install. Zadig reports a successful installation.

Looking back in Device Manager, the category Other Devices has disappeared and I see Reach+ (COM3) listed under the category Ports (COM & LPT).

I installed a trial version of Hyperterminal, and set it up on COM3 at 57600 baud N,8,1. Then I connected to ReachView through the web browser and in the Position Output tab, under Output 1, I chose serial and USB-to-PC. The other default settings were 57600 baud and NMEA format.

After clicking Apply, I looked at the Hyperterminal window and saw NMEA strings appearing like so:

$GPGSV,1,1,0,*49
$GNGST,*65
$GNVTG,*60
$GPGSA,A,1,*1E
$GPGSV,1,1,0,*49

This means successful USB/serial communications from Reach RS+ to a PC running Windows 10. :+1:

4 Likes