Reach RS+ Replacement Antenna Source/Design

Does anyone know if there is a U.S. supplier for the black, plastic, screw-on antenna for the RS+? I know they are available on the Emlid website, but it is with fairly expensive international shipping. I know the threads are fairly standard and I’ve actually found that Wi-Fi router antennas will connect perfectly. A related question is how specific is the antenna design? I can get the unit to work with a Wi-Fi router antenna attached, but the range seems very limited. Of course I’m fine with ordering ones internationally from Emlid if that is the best option, but it’s always good to know where to get parts if you need something quick in a pinch. Thanks.
Bryan

Bryan, I would think you can get any antenna that fits the SMS connector that operates within the Reach Lora frequency range (862 up to 1020 MHz). What I am not sure of is whether there is any issues with going with a round omnidirection vs the flat style that come with the Reach. The wiFi on the Reach is really bad if the antenna is not on, so I am guessing that the screw on antenna is not only for LoRa but also for the wiFi. Maybe one of the other guys can provide some insight on using round omnidirectional whips vs the flat stock ones.
EDIT:. SMA not sms.

Yeah, the DHL shipping is crazy… but I guess you could wait a month for a cargo ship to arrive with the cheap shipping.

The pricey option is $$$ but at least arrives in a couple to few days to USA.

SMS or SMA?

Here you go. Omni-directional makes for a more consistent 360d signal. Some may say that the stock antenna are and my radio strength reading 0-90 say not.

Thanks Michael!

Thanks for the responses everyone. I’ll try the antennas from Amazon and see how they perform.

I recently had my first semi-long-range survey with the equipment and the radio range was very limited. I am only getting line of sight of maybe 1/4 mile or less, although I see others are sometimes getting many miles. I also have a Topcon Hiper V system and that base/rover setup will transmit miles easily. But I am missing an antenna after recent travel and replaced it with one from a router. I’ll be this is the problem.

A related question I’ll throw out is about the frequency. I just now remembered changing the range to 1000Mhz. I’m wondering if going lower frequency will improve the range, although that’s still not my problem I don’t think. Let me know if anyone has any general advice on radio transmission frequency.

The main thing to remember is that the Hiper V’s are dual channel. L1/L2. Reach are L1. The additional channel is what keeps them connected and provides the speed at which we are used to. This also helps in maintaining a Fix. It kind of is what it is… Terrain is definitely a downfall. Where are you?

1 Like

Hi @bryanshaley,

Could you please post here simple system reports from both Reach units?

One recent project was in rolling hills of central Virginia with occasional tree lines… Another was on the Gulf Coast with very flat terrain, some vegetation, and a few buildings. I’m with you on the L1/L2 of the Hiper V versus the L1 of the RS+. But we’re talking orders of magnitude difference: miles with the Hiper V and a few hundred meters with the RS+. When I get a chance, I’ll do a comparison between the two systems. I’ll have my replacement antennas in a few days, so that should no longer be a factor.

Hey there,

I think you mixed the things up a bit. LoRa radio performance doesn’t depend on GNSS frequencies at all.
I also hesitate that the Wi-Fi antenna can be used instead of the radio antenna.

The default LoRa settings usually work fine. However, sometimes LoRa performance can vary for different areas and conditions. For example, there can be local interferences that influence the signal on some frequencies.

Setting up radio sometimes require additional tuning. I’ve asked you to share your system reports in order to understand which radio configurations you use and what I can recommend you to try to insrease the range.

1 Like

Ok. Fair enough on the radio frequency question: frequency shouldn’t affect radio range. I am aware of localized interference causes, but have now experienced similar performance in several states. Let me replace the antennas and then recheck. I’ll generate the system report after that.

3 Likes

What I posted was a 900 (915)mhz radio antenna. It is similar to what we use on our Topcon equipment.

Just an FYI that I discovered on arrival that those antennas listed above are male. Amazon Prime does also have the appropriate adapter though on the cheap, so waiting a few more days until those arrive to test.

Yeah, I don’t think there should be anything special about these antennas vs other manufacturers. I would try the ones for my Hiper Vs, but they are a larger connector size.

Oops, sorry about that… Should have paid a little more attention. We use the longer whip atennas with a quick-lock bnc connector in our Topcon gear. I’ll see if I can find that link.

Correct name of the connector on Reach RS is RP-SMA (reverse polarity SMA)

1 Like

I would like to clarify that while frequency doesn’t necessarily affect range in perfect conditions that it does affect penetration. This is why we use UHF (400mhz) receivers in dense environments.

1 Like

FYI: here is the RP-SMA adapter that will make the previously listed antennas work with the RS+. It appears to fit fine. I probably won’t be able to test until after the Xmas holiday because of other work though.

Well I’ll test it out with new antennas after the holiday. I can say that I haven’t had any problems with Wi-Fi reception with any antennas I’ve used. My issue has only been LoRa reception.