Community Forum

Reach RS+ Replacement Antenna Source/Design

(Michael Lambert) #23

The antenna is LoRa only. The Wi-Fi is internal. I have the same fittings coming and will test alongside.

(Timmyd) #24

I tested the new Antennas today and I had no signal at 2.33 miles. When I have free time I will go down to the delta farming area and do a line of site test. I was expecting to have communication at the distance I was at. The fact is I personally don’t need the distance, it was more for testing purposes. I did go ahead and test the wifi signal and has already been stated, it is internal and the signal was no different with or without the LoRa antenna. Since I was in test mode, I went ahead did it :slight_smile:

(Bryan Haley) #25

I did a quick test today using the antennas and adapter shown in this topic. I am getting a max of 600 meters baseline distance. This is on the seawall on Lake Pontchartrain and so quite flat and with sporadic trees. I think this distance is better than I was getting recently where I tried to rig the units with wi-fi router antennas when I found the originals were missing. I guess the question now is whether these new antennas are the limitation, there is a setting issue, or if there is something wrong with one of my RS+ units. The 600-meter distance is probably OK for most of my survey needs, but there will be times when I want more.

(Michael Lambert) #26

What is your output power set at? I have found better luck decreasing to 16db.


And also what was your data rate (kb/s)?

(Bryan Haley) #28

I’ve always just set it on the max, but will experiment.

(Bryan Haley) #29

Data is on 9.11 kb/s.

(Michael Lambert) #30

I’ve been running 18.23kb for a few months now.


In your picture above, what obstacles would the LoRa signal have had to penetrate?

I can’t tell what the elevations are, but the picture shows a lot of structures in the signal path which would fully block the signal if you didn’t have line of sight over them.

(Timmyd) #32

@bide there were LOTS of obstructions (trees and houses) between the two points. I realize now that any decent distance relies on free LOS. So I guess it is take a base or setup a free NTRIP caster. Thanks for getting back.

(Tatiana Andreeva) #34

Hi @bryanshaley,

Could you please post here Simple System Reports from both Reach units?
I want to take a look at your settings.


(Bryan Haley) #35

Here’s the report. Thanks for checking it.

Simple system report
app version: 2.15.4-dev-r0
'wifi_status, interface: wlan0':
- wifi_mode: ap
- access_point:
    band: bg
    channel: 1
    password: null
  is_added: true
  is_connected: true
  mac_address: 44:2C:05:FE:6B:93
  security: wpa-psk
  ssid: CEI_Reach_RS_Rover:EF:81
  uuid: 57b5a37c-4cdc-4fb9-856f-8695b4b48cb7
base mode:
  base coordinates:
    accumulation: '2'
    antenna offset:
      east: '0'
      north: '0'
      up: '0'
    - '0'
    - '0'
    - '0'
    format: llh
    mode: single-and-hold
    enabled: true
    format: rtcm3
    path: tcpsvr://:9000#rtcm3
    type: tcpsvr
  rtcm3 messages:
      enabled: true
      frequency: '1'
      enabled: true
      frequency: '0.1'
      enabled: false
      frequency: '1'
      enabled: true
      frequency: '1'
      enabled: false
      frequency: '1'
      enabled: false
      frequency: '1'
      enabled: false
      frequency: '1'
      enabled: false
      frequency: '1'
      enabled: false
      frequency: '1'
      enabled: false
      frequency: '1'
  discoverable: true
  enabled: true
  pin: '***'
correction input:
    enabled: true
    format: rtcm3
    path: lora
    send position to base: 'off'
    type: lora
    enabled: false
    format: rtcm3
    path: :9028
    type: tcpsvr
    format: RTCM3
    started: true
    version: null
    format: RTCM3
    started: true
    version: null
  interval: 24
  overwrite: true
    format: UBX
    started: true
    version: null
    format: LLH
    started: true
    version: null
  air rate: '9.11'
  frequency: 900000
  output power: '20'
position output:
    enabled: true
    format: nmea
    path: bluetooth
    type: bluetooth
    enabled: false
    format: llh
    path: :9001
    type: tcpsvr
    enabled: true
    format: llh
    path: :2014
    type: tcpsvr
    enabled: true
    format: llh_ext
    path: :2015
    type: tcpsvr
rtk settings:
  elevation mask angle: '6'
  glonass ar mode: 'on'
  gps ar mode: fix-and-hold
  max horizontal acceleration: '4'
  max vertical acceleration: '4'
  positioning mode: kinematic
  positioning systems:
    compass: false
    galileo: true
    glonass: true
    gps: true
    qzs: true
    qzss: false
    sbas: false
  snr mask: '25'
  update rate: '1'

(Tatiana Andreeva) #36

Hi @bryanshaley,

Firstly, I’d recommend you to update units to the latest v2.16.2 stable version.

I’d also recommend you to try a lower data rate, for example, 4.56 kb/s. High air rate allows getting a more stable correction channel. However, the lower data rate should help with increasing the distance between 2 units.

Another thing I can suggest you is to check other frequencies. Try to test base and rover setup with LoRa air data rate of 4.56kb/s at 1020MHz and go down to 868MHz with 15-20MHz step. The default LoRa settings usually work fine, however, sometimes it requires to tune them additionally depending on local conditions and environment.

Please keep us updated.

(Bryan Haley) #37

Thanks for the recommendations Tatiana. I should add, in addition to surveying with the RS+, I’m using it to provide Bluetooth NMEA positions for a GSSI ground penetrating radar (GPR). As a result, my tendency is to stay with settings that work with my GPR integration. I don’t the changes you mention should affect that though and so I look forward to trying them. Thanks again.