Reach M+ getting hot

Could you please send us a Full system report?

I’ll send you one in a PM to avoid sharing it publicly. Short said we are using the latest stable (v2.14.0)

Could you please tell us appr. what do you do on the devices? Or you just turn on and they shutdown after some time?

They are doing RTK where we feed in RTCM3 via the USB and get NMEA also via the USB. The base station (an Reach RS) is currently a few kilometers away, when the project is going live it will be mounted much closer to the users.

When (give or take. is it hours or minutes) your devices shutdown?
How much time does usually take for a cold system to shutdown?

It is within an hour with the lid on. I tried to monitor the CPU temperature, in the box but without the lid on it was 65-70°C and with the lid on it rose slowly to 105°C until the CPU turned of with the message

kernel[327]: [12549.889712] thermal thermal_zone0: critical temperature reached (105 C), shutting down

Does the issue persist if you disconnect all cables excl. power and take them out of your boxes?

We have had the Reach turned on but without feeding it with an RTCM3 just lying on the desk for some days without problem. I’ll see if I can set it up with doing RTK but the feeling I have gotten from handling it is that it would work fine in open air.

your project looks quite cool, by the way. I’d like to know more about your setup. This actually can be of help because I can then understand what exactly you do with the devices

We are helping a customer that are handling material in bulk to keep track of the storage and movement of material to minimize mixing or just plain wrong material being delivered due to human error. In each truck and loader a device that contain a Reach is installed which uses RTK to get enough precision for correctly deciding on which material was picked up and where it was delivered.
Due to dust which is slightly electrically conductive we are limited to having all electronics in a dust proof box as otherwise build up over time would eventually cause failure.