Reach M+ getting hot

The module works fine for a good amount of the time during the day but unfortuantly I am experiencing these two issues:

• If the module is left out in the sun stationary, the module get very very hot and eventually the module shutdown, probably is a feature to protect itself
  • If the module is left in a box , inside, it gets relative hot/warm and I get the same issue that it shutdown.

Does that mean is not a device that has a cool-passive system? Do I need to add an extra FAN or heatsink?

Hello!

Thanks for reporting the issue. We’re looking into it.

• Could you please tell us how hot is it outside?
  • Could you please send us a photo of the setup?
  • What do you mean with ‘a box’?

We are having the same problem. Outside there are 20-22°C.
Here is a picture https://photos.app.goo.gl/MVqWV6cMAzxiTyFC6

The problems appear when I close the box but even when open the Reach is very hot to the touch, much hotter than the old Reach.
We have tested with multiple M+ units so it does not seem to be a problem with a single unit.

How are you powering it and at what voltage?

Via 5V USB. Previously we had a different 5V USB power supply that did not really have the juice required so the voltage were 4.6 to 4.7V but now we have a stable 5.0V supply.

This is what the Reach M+ looked like this morning after being powered on over the night https://photos.app.goo.gl/tXWgP5pzDWK8PmPg8

And this is without the lid on on the box so nearly in open air.

This is an screenshot of htop on the Reach

Is it supposed to launch three rtkrcv, four reachled, three rtkloggerd and even more duplicate processes or is the poor thing trying to do much more than intended?

Yeah similar setup as Pajn. I have made a 3d print box to keep all the devices tidy up. When the lid is over there is not much air flow but I wouldn’t think to get that warm in a office environment.

I am powering it via Anker battery pack that they provide constant voltage.

It gets pretty warm but can’t say how much probably more than 26 degree.

The issue is that it shutdown and I have to wait to cool down before turn it on again.

Thanks for all reports, guys!

Could you please share Full System report with us? The most important thing to know is the firmware version? Are you using the latest stable or dev?

I am using the latest firmware from the stable version, updated 1 week ago with the latest one.

I will be able to share the correct number next day.

Anything else?

Hi @max246,

Here’s the description of how you can get Full System report from your Reach.

@max246 @Pajn

Guys, I have a couple more question/requests.

• Could you please send us a Full system report?
  • Could you please tell us appr. what do you do on the devices? Or you just turn on and they shutdown after some time?
  • When (give or take. is it hours or minutes) your devices shutdown?
  • How much time does usually take for a cold system to shutdown?
  • Does the issue persist if you disconnect all cables excl. power and take them out of your boxes?

@Pajn, your project looks quite cool, by the way. I’d like to know more about your setup. This actually can be of help because I can then understand what exactly you do with the devices

Could you please send us a Full system report?

I’ll send you one in a PM to avoid sharing it publicly. Short said we are using the latest stable (v2.14.0)

Could you please tell us appr. what do you do on the devices? Or you just turn on and they shutdown after some time?

They are doing RTK where we feed in RTCM3 via the USB and get NMEA also via the USB. The base station (an Reach RS) is currently a few kilometers away, when the project is going live it will be mounted much closer to the users.

When (give or take. is it hours or minutes) your devices shutdown?
How much time does usually take for a cold system to shutdown?

It is within an hour with the lid on. I tried to monitor the CPU temperature, in the box but without the lid on it was 65-70°C and with the lid on it rose slowly to 105°C until the CPU turned of with the message

kernel[327]: [12549.889712] thermal thermal_zone0: critical temperature reached (105 C), shutting down

Does the issue persist if you disconnect all cables excl. power and take them out of your boxes?

We have had the Reach turned on but without feeding it with an RTCM3 just lying on the desk for some days without problem. I’ll see if I can set it up with doing RTK but the feeling I have gotten from handling it is that it would work fine in open air.

your project looks quite cool, by the way. I’d like to know more about your setup. This actually can be of help because I can then understand what exactly you do with the devices

We are helping a customer that are handling material in bulk to keep track of the storage and movement of material to minimize mixing or just plain wrong material being delivered due to human error. In each truck and loader a device that contain a Reach is installed which uses RTK to get enough precision for correctly deciding on which material was picked up and where it was delivered.
Due to dust which is slightly electrically conductive we are limited to having all electronics in a dust proof box as otherwise build up over time would eventually cause failure.

• Could you please send us a Full system report?
    I am not sure what sort of full system report, do you have a template?

• Could you please tell us appr. what do you do on the devices? Or you just turn on and they shutdown after some time?
    I just run the device, for a long time as I need to use it with a tablet and just after 4 hours, it shutdown without any reason, then you have to wait for half an hour to cool down the device and start again

-When (give or take. is it hours or minutes) your devices shutdown?
4 hours of working, just streaming data over TCP socket and having it on the desk doing mostly nothing

• How much time does usually take for a cold system to shutdown?
    About 30 minutes, but if you throw it in front of an AC vent it will cool down quicker eheh

• Does the issue persist if you disconnect all cables excl. power and take them out of your boxes?
    If I disconnect and connect again, it doesnt boot up, you see one green light but doesnt complete the boot and there is not wifi, only when it is cool down you can have the device fully boot up.

• Version:
    The version is 2.14.0

@max246 @Pajn

Thanks for your reports, guys!

I’ll PM you for further investigation.

I am having a similar issue. For testing I put the M+ and antenna on a small cart out in our parking lot in the open sun. Cell phone charger for power supply, plugged into an extension cord. After an hour or two my M+ looks just like Pajn’s picture. I do not remember the specific answers to the questions you have asked but my experience is very much in line with what the others here have written.

Hi @dairytech,

Sorry for the late reply.

Have you tried to provide ventilation to Reach M+? I think it should help in such conditions.

Hi I have similar issue with reach view 2.14 here is picture
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lJSJSjsMwDe2Ho9TvL6MgXY01IZJuv66
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YO0Ly7l2ORZaulCcTua5ZrHR72_yKCvt

I would remove the plastic cover from the M+ if you put it into a box anyway.
Or you could cut some ventilation slots into the cover (after removing it…).

The part that looks melted is very close to the ARM CPU. With the cover on there is not much chance for the heat to get out at all. And if you put the black box into the sun you are just creating more heat. :wink:

Hi @santanaz230978,

What was the hardware setup of this Reach unit? Do you have photos of it?