Reach for GCPs, PPK, A6000

Hi,
I’m looking forward to start my adventure with using Emlid’s products.
Meanwhile, I have some rookie questions that I’d appreciate being answered.
I’ll be using it for GCPs placement instead of expensive gps rtk l1/l2 solution that is not always available to our team.

1.I was wondering why Luke Wijnberg used two bases. They offer much better results right? (Like in his table - first differences column would be the results with one base, and the second with two bases?) Am I interpreting it right?
Listing the list of the products you’d recommend me to buy for gcps collection would be extremly beneficial otherwise I’ll just spend more hours to understand it fully :slight_smile:

1. Also, this would mean that I’ll be working in a local precise coordinate system. It’s not the problem for volumetric works. But it’s aligness with WGS or other local coordinate system would be poor - like 2-3 meters? Unless:
    a) I know the coordinates of the base from the expensive gps rtk l1/l2 device.
    b) I use a local rtk corrections if the base is within 10 km radius and I pay the subscription fee to asg-europos for 400$/a year. Which wouldn’t be a profitable investment.
    c) Any other options? PPP?

2. GPS RTK onboard of our uav. Soon I’ll be buying a Sony A6000 to integrate the camera timestamp recording.
    I guess gcps will be needed until we’re sure it works and the results are good, but anybody already have positive experiences with that adaption? What are the benefits and errors? I was wondering if the processing time is much shorter with the right camera locations?

Thanks for any info :wink:

That’s actually on us, as Reach does not support simultaneously sending corrections and logging them. To be fixed soon.

You pretty much said it yourself, those are the options. We are currently exploring the PPP mode, with a plan to adapt UI to make it easy to use.

That is due to a limitation in base Reach software. It can either stream corrections or record them. We are working on improving this. Luke wanted to have a full base log, so that in case radio communication is lost and correction log on the rover is not fully recorded he could still post-process. This is why he set one for recording and the other on to output corrections. This is a temporary workaround.

10km is a limitation mostly for dynamics. If you use Reach it static mode and occupation time is sufficient fixes on baselines up to 100km are possible. There are some free services available for RINEX log download in most countries, paid options are usually for real-time stream.

Possible, but this is a bit challenging with L1 only. Requires more testing.

We had positive experience :slight_smile: Processing time is shortened and you do not need to place ground control.

Woot, didn’t even know PPP was on the table, where do I sign up for beta? :smiley:

Hi, I’ve got a silly question. I would like to use Reach to measure a bunch of GCPs in the middle of nowhere and I am not sure how to do it in a proper way.
First of all I would like to set up one of the reach for a static session for about 4-6h and record correction, post process those data to get accurate position of base station.
Come back to this location next day and set up again base station over same point (set base latitude, longitude and height) and this time sent correction to my rover.
I would like ask you guys if it is correct way of thinking? This gonna work? Or there is a better option to achieve that?

Thanks,
M.