Does having multiple bases improve accuracy?

In short, no. RTKLIB will not handle more than one base.

Moreover, the rover is more likely to have the poorer satellite view compared to the base. As such, duplicate corrections from two bases with the same satellites would not really be contributing anything new to the calculation. On the contrary, it may create more doubt as to the rover position.

[quote=“rant”]For example, if two bases were in use simultaneously by one rover and if the published coordinates of those two base locations were not perfectly precise; and I think that is a reasonable assumption to make; then some error would be introduced.

Say that the published coordinates declare the bases to be 100m apart, but on this day RTK shows them to be 100.1m apart, now before you even start, your rover would be struggling with a 10cm error. “Hey, why is my ellipse of error twice as large when I use two bases?” This particular problem has got to do with those published coordinates, and not your point collection task, and so it should not burden or delay your field work. It is better suited to deal with it back at the office where you can double-check the published coordinates and do some post-processing to determine if all the points collected have the same 10cm offset when processed from the two different base locations.

This is just an opinion of course. Feel free to rebut.[/quote]

Required reading:
(Here, it seems I am repeating myself, but pay attention to Luke’s post.)

Additional reading:

For your question about additional corrections:

Link to the docs:
https://docs.emlid.com/reachrs/common/reachview/correction-input/

1 Like