Reach 2 durability

Has anyone used the Reach 2 for a number of years on construction/ dirtwork equipment? Talking to some dealers that specialize in setting up gps on machines and use other gnss equipment novatel and such. Reach 2 they see as more of a hobby type reciever that would not have the durability of some other brands on the market. I don’t quite believe that but can’t really prove otherwise.

3 Likes

Maybe not “a number of years” since the RS2 only came out last year if I am correct.

2 Likes

Question is if those dealers have bigger profit-margins on other brands, and if so, are they trustworthy?

4 Likes

It depends on what you are trying to do, but if you’re talking real machine control the solutions aren’t apples to apples or even fruit to fruit. The M2/RS2 kit are just a small piece of the kit that gets location data. Even in an indicate system you need other hardware and software to turn that location into something meaningful for your site. Then if you want any autonomous control on the machine you just keep adding hardware.

1 Like

If concerned, try something like we discussed in this thread.

I haven’t done it yet but, I am sure it will work.

1 Like

Hi @cedargeo,

I’d like to add that Reach RS2 receiver is water- and dustproof on the IP67 standard. It can be used in a wide range of operating temperatures (from - 20 to +65 °C). This allows the receiver to keep working in rather challenging environments.

Also, Reach RS2 is made from polycarbonate, which is an extremely durable material used in bulletproof glass. So there should be no issues in using RS2 on the construction works, for example.

3 Likes

The RS2’s have proven to be very reliable for our surveying and construction needs. While I have never had one fall or have dropped one I can say that day today use even in a light rain has been fine and there is definitely a lot of dust.

4 Likes

Do you use RS2’s on machines or for surveying?

1 Like

Not on heavy equipment, but I do regularly attach it to my truck with a magnet mount. I do both land surveying and construction control.

It would be very easy to mount a metal plate to a machine with rubber stoppers underneath it and attach the triple magnet mount to the top of that. We have done this with Topcon on track and wheel loaders to give them rough grade and the CAD line work so they know where they are. There are no hydraulic controls like we have with the Topcon and they use a standard survey data collector for reporting. Our next effort is scrapers.

2 Likes

Yes use it on a scraper

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.