Question about accuracy Reach RS2

Hello, friends. I have a few questions about how Reach RS2 works.

1. Does the tilt compensator work?
  2. How did the instrument perform in accuracy tests? Since I work in construction, it is important for me to get cm accuracy (about 2-3cm).
  3. How Reach RS2 behaves in difficult conditions (urban development, park). Is the accuracy greatly reduced?
  4. I see that RS2 is often compared with RS + but I don’t understand why no one compares with other dual-frequency receivers. Indeed, it is incorrect to compare the single-frequency and dual-frequency receivers in my opinion, because the positive aspects are obvious. It would be more interesting to see a comparison of RS2 with a competitor with two channels. Can RS2 be competitive among other dual frequency receivers?

I plan to work in Moscow in RTK mode using permanent base stations that provide services in the area. I do not plan to work using the radio. The receiver ordered back in late March, but the dealer in Russia was not conscientious and my RS2 has not yet reached me.

2 Likes

I look forward to seeing some of the answers on this as I am in construction as well and do have high end GPS equipment. I’ve been trying to evaluate the Emlid gear to see it if it is a viable option for superintendents and rover hands. I have not been able to on an rs2, but from what I know about their technology the receiver itself should be very comparable to Topcon, Trimble and Sokkia. The downfall of the reach solutions at this point is the functionality of the software. That being said they are such a low cost-point that third-party software is easily obtainable. Several of us continue to recommend the microsurvey FieldGenius platform. It is soon to be on Android so that is pretty exciting. one thing that you will want to keep in mind is the hardware that you are going to use as a data collector. I can’t stress enough how important it is to get something that is weather and heat resistant. Your phone is just not going to make it happen.

3 Likes

Thanks for the answer. I hope that RS2 will cope with the tasks. Basically, I set the task of arranging driveways, paths, platforms, shooting volumes of earth masses. Before buying from a dealer, I will arrange a test drive. But up to this point, he hoped to hear feedback from colleagues. I plan to use Surpad 4.0 software for android to collect data and breakdown in RTK. My friend uses this program together in the rover South and he is satisfied. When buying, I will compare with him.

Good to know. The main thing in our environment is the need to do localizations of the site control which FG is very good at.

Hi Andrey,

Does the tilt compensator work?

We have plans on adding this feature in future releases, however, there is no ETA.

How did the instrument perform in accuracy tests? Since I work in construction, it is important for me to get cm accuracy (about 2-3cm).
How Reach RS2 behaves in difficult conditions (urban development, park). Is the accuracy greatly reduced?

In ideal conditions, Reach RS2 can provide horizontal accuracy in 7mm, and vertical in 14mm. Reach RS2 performs well in challenging conditions, and it is possible to reach centimeter-level in most cases.

I see that RS2 is often compared with RS + but I don’t understand why no one compares with other dual-frequency receivers. Indeed, it is incorrect to compare the single-frequency and dual-frequency receivers in my opinion, because the positive aspects are obvious. It would be more interesting to see a comparison of RS2 with a competitor with two channels. Can RS2 be competitive among other dual frequency receivers?

I’m afraid we don’t have any articles comparing our receivers with receivers from other manufacturers. However, I’d be glad to answer all your questions about Reach RS2 specs and performance.

2 Likes

I thought I would do some accuracy tests on a small scale with a tape measure of 2 collected points , 2m pole height :grin:

could almost use it to cut lumber :laughing:

8 Likes

Thanks for the answer. Of course, I’m interested in when tilt compensation becomes available, but I think that now you can’t give an exact answer. I also wonder if RS2 loses connection with the application in the process. And does he lose FIX arbitrarily. I am not talking about difficult conditions in which it is normal to lose FIX. I just read somewhere that RS + randomly lost contact.

Good result)) I think that marking up lumber with gnss equipment is something new)) Tell me, what were the conditions when performing your test and what is the distance from the base? How do you feel about RS2 in general? Speed, stability?

1 Like

I am very confident about the RS2 results, in speed to get fix is sometimes faster than you can log on . In most conditions it does not lose a fix unless you get into heavy trees. baseline and conditions…

3 Likes

David ! I did the same check as you but with the RS +. I put two nails at an exact distance of 10 meters I measured each ntrip point at a distance of the base of 6.2 km and the result was 9,994 meters

4 Likes

I think the Reach RTK, M+, RS, RS+ and RS2 all have the same accuracy… the RS2 just does it faster and in more challenging environments where the rest will struggle to get a FIX (or just won’t).

6 Likes

Hi David,
I have a question for you.
The corrections of the GALILEO, BEIDOU base are not visible in your “SNR”.
Can you tell me why?

https://docs.emlid.com/reachrs2/reachview/status/

The graph lists all satellites that fit in your screen size and corresponding SNR

They are there what fits.

Hi timd,
the green and red band indicate SNR of the rover;
the gray bars indicate SNR of the base station.
In the SNR image shown by David, the gray bands of the “B” satellites (baidou) and of the stellites “E” (galileo) are missing; I thought this means that he is not receiving correction from the base for those satellites.
It’s correct?
I have an RS2 rover that connects to the network of bases nearby.
The network manager states that the bases transmit corrections on all constellations (GPS, GLONASS, BAIDOU, GALILEO), but in SNR reachview I find only gray bands on GPS and GLONASS, never in the other constellations.

. For some reason when I started up the base in the morning it showed something like 35 sats then later on 18 and as of now only 8 :thinking:

I dont think I had them selected .let me check…so they were not selected and if I turn them on the bases sats at the rover go up, but not all to 44 as is showing at the base

This last one is with all messages selected

Sorry, got ahead of myself! ; )

In reachview base mode tab you can toggle them on or off as you wish , as my screenshots shows

You select them in base mode tab