Processing RS2 Static Observations, with network adjustment

Hi all. I’ve been looking through the forum for a solution but have yet to find a proper recommendation for a software capable of processing static observations from the RS2/RS+ which also allows for network adjustment. RTKLIB’s a little lacking in this department. Would really appreciate any tips from anyone using the RS2 for land surveying, especially in control surveying.

As in Least Squares Adjustment?

Yep!

I would love to know this as well, it is a bit baffling that this is such are hard question to answer. If you made GPS equipment would you not ensure it works with established GNSS software, and provide documentation on such. Am I being unreasonable here?

You can’t do least square adjustments on GNSS observations alone, as you only have the coordinates.
That is what I have heard from the guys at Microsurvey and another major Least Squares Adjustment software vendor.

You mean the guys that are also making GNSS equipment at that costs 5x times as much as Emlid gear? :wink:
Hell probably need to freeze over before you will see native Reach support from Topcon, Leica etc.

2 Likes

I’ve used our “GNSS Solutions” software for PP M2 data with the helical and the Harxon antenna that David Hess uses. It’s old software, we bought about 5 years ago. We used to have all Trimble gear until the old TGO quit being useful to planned obselence. This brought in TBC and was way overpriced for our needs. We since have gone all JAVAD with their great equipment and software.

I think you can still get a copy of GNSS Solutions without the USB lock, it will still process L1 data. I still use ours as it’s very familiar and has a good processing engine.
You can also input antenna parameters for non NGS calibrated models. There is also a couple of bugs in the program, but you can work around them. Try igage.com and contact Mark Silver there.

I also have JAVAD Justin PP software and have used it once on Javad equipment, it has a very steep learning curve. It’s a very robust processor and I believe is supreme against all others including online (OPUS and others), cost $1900.00. I’m wanting to try processing M2 rinex data with it.

I also downloaded this CGO2 and been watching the videos. It looks pretty slick with a great cost of $620.00. It also has PPP capabilities as well as UAV PP and regular PP.

Untill Emlid gets their RS2 antenna calibrated, you won’t really have confidence in orthometric heights unless frequent checks are made into known BM’s.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying, but I concur with @wizprod here. Very unlikely that these software would provide native support. Having said that, I would appreciate documentation, especially with TBC as so many of our customers use it. It’s in the works from what I hear. I also find the rinex, which should be universal, from rtkconv a little different from that used by some software :thinking:

That’s interesting to note. But I think it makes sense, although it is possible to do a least square adjustment using a cogo calculator e.g. least square traverse adjustment - that’s just done on coordinates yea?

I’m still trying to get my head around the principles. I’m just wondering if it’s possible to do a least square adjustment workflow using rtklib. As simple example would be to process a single baseline from two known points to the same unknown point, then use a cogo calculator to perform the adjustment. So much work, but that’s kind of a solution perhaps although I can see this spiraling to great complexity on larger networks.

Probably better to get a software to do all these. What do you use, Christian?

Thanks for the tips, Bryan. Will have a look at them. Justin looks very interesting (RIP to the legend btw). Although it does cost as much as a single RS2 receiver, it seems like a worthy investment if it unlocks an entire workflow. The CHC one too.

Re the antenna, yes that’s true. It has been a concerned raised by quite a few customers. Not exactly a unit to use for control survey. I know last I spoke to @denis.nikolaev, it’s in the works. I think it was being done in Australia. Just wondering if there are any updates @tatiana.andreeva?

1 Like

Aaron,

i think you can perform a least square adjustment using autodesk civil3d. Or as Bryan Enfinger said, use gnss solutions, you can download here —> http://soporte.geoeco.com.mx/support/solutions/articles/6000149278-gnss-solutions-v3-5-3-10-13

1 Like

I used CHC software this morning. Pretty neat. You can request a 30 day free demo from igage.com . I used a 25 min session with my JAVAD T2 in a high multi-path point. I have a known position on this point by terrestrial traverse and also PP using Javad Justin software. Baseline lengths were 30-60 km to 4 CORS. I was kinda surprised at the results, 0.05’ N, 0.19’ E, 0.52’ U in local coordinate system. The point basically has a funnel view of the sky 40° up from horizon blocked by trees. The CHC software apparently doesn’t like “dirty” observations, overall pdop was 2.4 and I had set the elevation mask at 30°. My conclusion is not enough data which I suspected in the beginning.

I’m planning on using my M2 data for test next week. I like the software, it reminds me of GNSS SOLUTIONS to some degree. I’ll also use the data for processing in Javad Justin but this software is totally different from what I’ve used in others.

1 Like

Thanks, Jose. We’ve checked our V3.80.8 and don’t seem to be able to get the emlid rinex file to read properly. Any tips @EBE111057?

Yea, the other workflow using Civil3d or other cogo calculators is going to be a pain for our clients. They’ll need to process each observation one by one on rtklib first :expressionless:

Thanks, Bryan. I think we’ll check it out. Does the CHC software take the rtkconv .obs and .nav files natively? We also have a software from our Chinese receivers in our portfolio but it has trouble reading these rinex files :cry: Haven’t had much luck converting it over to the .20o .20p etc rinex file extension.

i’m planning on processing a point i observed yesterday with m2, but i had issue with receiver shutting down early for whatever reason. hopefully i’ve got enough data.

chc will only use rinex from emlid receivers

Well I’ve only got 8 minutes of data, which sucks. This is the first time this has happened. I had problems with connecting to the unit to begin with, but it was logging when I left it

I’ll log something tonight and baby sit with it to get at least an hour if it’s not raining

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your tests. Some screenshots would be cool :wink:
Btw, we got TBC 3.5 to process our static observations yesterday. Pretty stoked about that. Good accuracy too. That said, still looking for a cheaper solution for our clients, so looking forward to your test results.

Novate / Waypoint Grafnet

Hi Aaron

EZSurv software offers baselines (static) as well as trajectory processing (stop&go).
It is a geodetic GNSS post-processing software, it includes network adjustment (least square) as well as many other QA tools. EZSurv is easy to use . It can read native Emlid file (and rinex Emlid file). With EZSurv you can use your Country datum and projections (including vertical datum). EZSurv will read points recorded with ReachView app, therefore data file manipulation is eliminated!

To learn more on the software:
Video: EZSurv overview for land surveying jobs
Video: EZSurv for drone mapping
How to process GNSS data recorded using ReachView

3 Likes

Well recommend EZSurv. They have been brilliant with the initial quirks of the M2 system and have been really helpful in troubleshooting. Well worth the money.

1 Like