Ntrip server problems

Hi,
I tested reach modules with success.
Now I would like to set up a ntrip communication on a single module, but it remains in single mode.
The module is connected to internet via router, I’m quite sure that wifi settings are correct since everything works in tcp server-client mode. What’s more, if I connect to the same router with my pc, I can surf.
I attach a photo to show my settings.

2 Likes

Your settings look correct. This mount point does support RTCM3, right? Also, your NTRIP service might require NMEA GGA position, so firstly Reach needs to calculate single solution and only after that it will send its position to the server and will start receiving corrections. Did you wait for the single solution to appear? Grey bars do not appear?

1 Like

I have noticed that sometimes the VRS data takes a long time to come though. This is often the case when sending a GGA single solution. Sometimes it takes over a inute to show the data. This is not only the case with Reachview but with RTKLIB too. I wonder if the delay is on the VRS side of things?
I would test to a single station that does not require a GGA and see if you recieve data.
I would also test your data with the PC NTRIP radio (http://lefebure.com/software/ntripclient/20131124/NTRIPClient.exe)
and put in manually your current location as a GGA. This will give you a good idea if the server is down or if there is a problem with your account.
Good luck!

1 Like

Hi Igor,
thanks for your prompt reply.
Yes, the mount point does support RTCM3. I waited more than a quarter of hour and made a couple of tries without success. Single solution appears almost immediately, whether grey bars don’t.
Following Sisani thread, I also tried all the possibilities for “Transmit NMEA GPGGA messages to Base station” setting, but again with no success.
I hereby attach the authority configuration page: it should be understandable, even if in Italian. Sholud something be unintelligible, just tell me.

Ciao,
Ernesto

Hi Ernesto,

Maybe you can send me your login credentials for NTRIP via PM so that we can test it?

1 Like

Hi Igor,
as Luke said, I tried with Lefebure NTRIP client and realized that something with credentials was wrong. I contacted the authority and few minutes ago I managed to solve with them!
Now I disturb you for another problem. I’m experimenting poor signal reception: 5 or 6 satellites are green, the others yellow but still I get float solution, I’m not able to get fix. The position here is not the best, so I bought a Tallysman TW3070, expecting more than 10 dB of improvement, but the result was more or less the same with original TW4721.
So a couple of questions arises:

• can Reach work with this antenna? Any problem with supply? (I see 3.40VDC, and that’s ok, but what about current? are 15 to 25 mA required by TW3070 too much?)
  • I’m also considering to buy an amplifier, like TW120; what do you think about this? Could it help? Again, any problem with supply?
    Thank you for your support,
    E.
2 Likes

You could try looking at TW3740, which has 40db gain, and the signal improvements can clearly be seen in the graphs. I have only experimented using this antenna on Navio+, haven’t had a chance to try it on my Reach yet. The only drawback for this antenna is the weight, so only consider using it on larger copters. For non-drone applications, it is certainly worth a look.

1 Like

No problem for the weigth, but TW3070 has 42db gain, is very similar in shape to TW3740 and I still can’t get fix solution.

1 Like

Maybe it could be TW3070 supports the GPS band only? Which means you cannot make use of other satellites…

1 Like

This is not how it works. Using an antenna with higher gain in the amplifier will not help improve the signal to noise ratio. When you amplify the signal, the noise is amplified as well, so resulting SNR on ReachView does not change.

What can help is placing the antenna in good location with a ground plane under it.

2 Likes

Sorry Igor, so your suggestion is not to buy the TW3740? (That seemed to me a good tip since I see that TW3070 band is ok just for GPS and not for GLONASS and GALILEO).
Maybe go back to TW4721? But also with that and a ground plane I didn’t reach fix solution.
I tested TW3070 with a 100200mm ground plane and TW4721 with a 200200mm ground plane. For what I understand, if the ground plane is bigger than 100*100mm is ok, isn’t it?

1 Like

You can get TW3710, which has lower gain. High gain is needed when you have long cables and need to compensate for losses in them.

It is ok to have a bigger ground plane.

1 Like

Igor

Do you think that the active 35mm antennas with a 100mm ground plane give better data than smaller antennas?

1 Like

Larger antennas usually perform better than smaller ones.

1 Like

Igor

Do you have any information about a Dual feed antenna over common antennas?

I like to buy just the antenna and then build my own 3D printed enclosure to keep the weight low for my UAVs. I use aluminum foil tape for a ground plane to keep the weight down.

This Tallysman antenna looks to me like it’s a good match for the Reach receivers. My Reach receivers left HK on the 18th so I should have them soon.

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/33-1721-05-0150/1526-1029-ND/5284321

http://www.digikey.com/Suppliers/us/tallysman.page?lang=en

1 Like

Igor

After reading the data sheets on many Tallysman antennas I think the TW4721 looks good.

1 Like

I see no big difference between TW4721 and TW3710. Why are you suggesting it?
In the meanwhile I switched back to TW4721, activated GLONASS and got 7-8 green bars. Waited several minutes, but still no fix solution. Any idea why this occurs?

1 Like

Hy Ernesto

I live in Padova and I use the free network of regione veneto (like provincia autonoma trento) and I use MAX 3 mountpoint and I select single settings for input nmea string

I hope this help

Ciao

Francesco

You mean single for “Transmit NMEA GPGGA messages to Base station”?
If I select MAX3 (instead of IMAX3, like I’m doing) I just use GPS and not GLONASS. Anyway, I don’t know exactly how it works in Veneto, probably mounint points are defined in a different way.
Can you get fix solution? I’m still wondering why I don’t get it, since signal reception seems now good.

I’m trying to use the reach in static mode, using a base station as a reference NTRIP. With this base station serves me right on my PC running RTKLIB. But with the reach, never the gray bars of the base station shown me.