NTRIP RTK Cost

No worries at all; hopefully I helped out.

Also, the errors are at 1 sigma ie. correct on average 68% of the time.
Often we scale this error by 1.96 (or just use 2) which brings it up to 95%. Which is typically the value we want to be quoting to clients.

So H = 7mm + 1mm per km and V = 14mm + 1mm per km become:

H = 14mm + 2mm per km
V = 28mm + 2mm per km

5 Likes

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and got my permanent login. It saved a ton of time on my first job today so I think itā€™s going to turn out to be a good decision. Iā€™ll just consider it my Christmas present to myself, lol.

3 Likes

For Ag in Canada its $1200 a machine / year.

I have setup 1 cellular base already and I am getting scheduled to do another.

The level of accuracy really drives the cost. Luckily most grain operations can run long baseline RTK.

2 Likes

Congratulations Michael, I bet youā€™re finding it easier & faster to set up! Iā€™m jealous!
I assume you went with the RTKNet service, do they have a VRS solution or is just the nearest station solution? I be curious how accurate it is on a known NGS benchmark.
Thanks

Thank you! Being able to step on a new site without gobs of research trying to find the best monumentation possible, setting up the base for 30 minutes and logging for PPK or traversing the whole thing for localization is going to pay for itself quick. You better believe I am going to try to recover every NGS monument I get near. So far I have been on 3 construction sites with it. Two of them were +/- 0.42ft and one was 0.05ft so itā€™s not going to ever get me on the same surface coordinates our crews are using, but I can transform after the fact in CAD. Or at least that is what my brain is telling me right now. At least I still have the option to localize if I have to. Key word being HAVE to. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Michael for the info. Not having to do this each time, would be such a time saver; (" Being able to step on a new site without gobs of research trying to find the best monumentation possible, setting up the base for 30 minutes and logging for PPK or traversing the whole thing for localization")
So Iā€™m going to investigate the HxGN SmartNet RTN service, when I get some time next year, to see if it will work with the Emlid receivers as an RTK solution.

1 Like

Thank you. I looked into HxGN and tried to sign up for their Trial offer, but it asked for a Promo code which I did not have. I contacted support to remedy it and it took them a day and a half to get back to me at which point they directed me that I need to engage a Salesperson. Thatā€™s the point at which I became disinterested and decided to go with RTKNET.

I have done 4 surveys now and have already save about 3-4 hours of my time by not having to setup a local base. Now all I have to figure out is if it is possible to integrate the data from our Topcon observations with the Emlid and RTKNET combo.

I can confirm though the SmartNet does provide RTCM corrections and should work with the RS2ā€™s.

2 Likes

I just wanted to say thanks to all who contribute on not just this thread, but the community in general. I came in with a different use-case and experience with GNSS and have learned allot of different ways of using the technology which will improve our programs. Kudos!

4 Likes

Hey Michael, I am based up in Dallas Area and I rent Trimble equipment from AllTerra for a majority of my jobs. The R10 Rover tied with a TSC3 data collector on the RTKnet has ruined me with its ease of use and accuracies.

After many thousands of dollars to Allterra (and travel time and scheduling etc.), I am considering other options. I have used Aeropoints (rented from supplier in Houston) extensively but after a year or two they just stop working. For no reason and with no remedy. Thatā€™s not acceptable for me considering they are an $8k investment or so (if you can even find a set). Iā€™m glad I was able to rent them without committing to a solution that has ultimately been ā€œconsumableā€.

So I am turning back to EMLID thinking that maybe a Reach2 (or two) will work for my purposes. I am strictly setting control points for Aerial Maps. I do fly for engineers and surveyors so I am looking to find a solution that will tie into existing benchmarks and utilize Texas State Plane Coordinate System. (or at least I can get there).

Iā€™d love to explore a cheaper option but cannot compromise on reliability and accuracy. I am willing to spend a bit more time on site or in office to attain control point data. Since it seems you have much experience the other way round, what are your thoughts on switching to Emlid? Are you here more for the cost-savings or the

All this to say, I have spoken with the guys at Allterra about Emlidā€™s offerings and the ability to connect to RTKnet. They are disinterested. They wish to protect the network and the ā€œmembershipā€™s investment in Trimble productsā€. They see it as a competitive advantage in the marketplace (which it is). Evidently TXDOT has a contract with them to use the network and the state is not interested in standing up an VRS network. That may change though as more and more devices begin to utilize RTK GNSS capabilities (i.e. cars).

I am having great success with an RS2 on the RTKNET RTCM plan. Their normal plan does cater to the Trimble RTX format so the RTCM version is a little more expensive. I find that I paid for it pretty quickly by not having to setup a base and even sometimes worry about range issues over LoRa. That said I do have an RS2 base in case I have issues with internet or cellular. Itā€™s also nice to have a base that stays setup that way for PPK with the drone.
You could think about using an M2 as a base. I have also consider making my own ā€œaeropointsā€ using M2ā€™s. That would still be cheaper, but you would be able to maintain them.

New Zealand LINZ services are provided free of charge.

Yeah, most of the United States too. Just not Texas because of bureaucracy and our friends at Trimble.

1 Like

Jared, you also might want to check out the paid correction service provided by HxGN SmartNet Network. They offer a 10-day trial period. I purchased a yearly subscription for here in Texas and it is working great so far with my RS2 receivers. They offer Nearest and VIRS solutions.

Not sure if Trimble had anything to do with it being that way. I think it is more up to the state itself.

Here in Ohio, the entire system is Trimble, same in southern MN and also MO. They are not pay for services.

The one that really cracks me up is Illinois. NO CORS network at all.

For my application, vertical accuracy, I need VRS unless I am within 2 miles of the nearest base.

1 Like

The free network in NZ runs on hardware donated by Trimble. So thanks Trimble.

It is a smart move by Trimble, then the users need to buy Trimble gear to use the ā€œfreeā€ network.

1 Like

The Ntrip real time corrections are RTCM 3.2. And Rinex files for static post processed, moving to Rinex 3. If I could afford big brand equipment, I wouldnā€™t be posting here. And trying to get settings right to use Reach RS2. :slight_smile:

1 Like

All of the above mentioned networks are VRS and have multiple mount points so they didnā€™t make it ā€œbrand specificā€ by only outputting CMR. They all have CMR/CMR+/RTCM some offer CMRX. Ohio is the first I know of to offer Galileo/BeiDou that I am aware of.

Beauty is all of them are free as tax payer $$$$ paid for them.

South Carolinaā€™s RTN is managed by the SC Geodetic Survey and is $600/year. Reasonable cost and is very dependable. Most of the times itā€™s down is due to hardware/firmware upgrade and the users are notified in advance. About 99% of the time, itā€™s only down on the weekends when needed for upgrade.

Great service and accuracy. Sometimes, I even download the base files if needed for PP. I think most of their stations are Trimble specific.

It depends on where you are and who is operating the network. Neither RTKNET and HxGN originally had RTCM and were proprietary to Trimble (RTX) because that is what the operator (TDXOT) offered. They specifically told me that the RTCM service was a little more expensive because they are maintaining it and trying to offset the cost with their Trimble sales. Sounds a little sales-speak, but I really donā€™t care at this point as I would have already setup my base at least 15 times to set/replace points. It will pay for itself quickly.