No FIX with the manually set coordinates for the base

I have a really, really, dumb question. This seems like the place to put it. I have used my unit quite a bit for steak out, works great! I love being able to see SNR in the newer firmware’s as well. I have been logging a bunch of points using just 1 unit for multiple hours to get OPUS positions and creating points.

I just needed to preform a steak out. Had one unit set to manual, the other set to average fix. I will be dog gone, i could not get a “fix” on the rover no matter what, checked comm settings, Rover to Average Float, Average fix, moved the units right next to each other, etc, ). I took the base and made it Average single, (it didnt have to be exact for this purpose) and it started reporting “fix” on the rover. I do notice in the newer firmware I cant seem to find how to change positioning mode for the base, but seems like that shouldn’t matter for this?

I just dont know what step I am leaving out.

Hi Ben, One cause might be that there is an error on entering your coordinates and height values for your known point on your Base receiver and that they are too far from your current known location. I have had that happen to me with an error in the height entry. You need to enter ellipsoid height when using a manual base coordinate and you can obtain that from your average single coordinate if you don’t have it for your know position.
Your average single coordinates that you were successful in obtaining for your Base, should match your know point within a few meters. That is one way to check the location entered.

Edit: This also depends on what datum is used in collecting the average single coordinate and what datum you use for the known point. OPUS outputs in: REF FRAME: NAD_83(2011)(EPOCH:2010.0000) and ITRF2014 (EPOCH:2023.5174) and ORTHO HGT in NAVD88 (GEOID 18) so your Base would have to be set up using those parameters if using the OPUS known point or transformed to whatever datum you are using at your location.

Here is another discussion on this topic on the Forum.

Regards, Mark


Thank you so very much for your reply, that seriously helps. I bet that is what i did, i thought the behavior would be different for that, I notice I am suffering from typing dyslexia as of late so I bet that is what I did. I checked the data I had for the known point, it is correct, and I THOUGHT at the time I double checked, but I bet I messed it up. Your procedure makes a whole lot of sense and I will do so in the future as a sanity check. I didnt want to test the same thing without having a explanation as to what might of occurred. Looking at my solution, I BET I typed in the Ortho Hgt which I broke out to feet instead of the Ellipsoidal Height from the OPUS file.

Thank you so very much!

1 Like

Hi Ben,

Hopefully, the suggestions from Mark will help. Please let me know in case the issue persists. We’ll look into it.


1 Like

Yea that was it. I do notice when the Rover and base are talking together I no longer see the base or rover icons in the survey project. I haven’t used reachview 3 on my phone until today though.

Hi Ben,

Glad to hear that it works now!

It seems that you’re using the old version of the application. It was previously called ReachView 3 and now it’s Emlid Flow. Please double-check that you have the latest version of the app installed (version 9). I believe that it should eliminate those issues with the icons.

1 Like

Thank you again! I was going to look on the threads later today if there was anything about it. Thanks much!!!

LOL!!! I checked I was using Emlid flow (but I did need to update 1 device) but in so, i got to looking at the settings in the office for my rover unit and, I LOVE THIS!!! I THOUGHT my pole height was set to “6.125” feet (because using State Plane CS with IFeet). Well in the app it was “6,125” feet tall. Im betting that is why the Rover and base icons werent showing up. Problem probably solved I’m betting.


Yea that was the issue. I should use the tablet when checking settings or a phone with better contrast, didnt notice that punctuation problem. It seems like one of those grammar jokes you see on comma usage. LOL All good.

1 Like