Navio2 Dronekit connection timeout

Versions:

• Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3.
  • Image version: Linux navio 4.19.83-emlid-v7+
  • ArduPilot version: 3.6.11

The problem:
I’m currently trying to run a simple dronekit script which connects to the navio2 and then exits. I’m running the script on the Pi itself via ssh. When I run the following command:

python connect.py --connect 127.0.0.1:14550

I receive the following error:

WARNING:dronekit:Link timeout, no heartbeat in last 5 seconds
ERROR:dronekit.mavlink:Exception in MAVLink input loop
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dronekit/mavlink.py", line 211, in mavlink_thread_in
    fn(self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dronekit/__init__.py", line 1371, in listener
    self._heartbeat_error)
APIException: No heartbeat in 30 seconds, aborting.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "connect.py", line 21, in <module>
    connectMyCopter()
  File "connect.py", line 17, in connectMyCopter
    vehicle = connect(connection_string, wait_ready=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dronekit/__init__.py", line 3166, in connect
    vehicle.initialize(rate=rate, heartbeat_timeout=heartbeat_timeout)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/dronekit/__init__.py", line 2275, in initialize
    raise APIException('Timeout in initializing connection.')
dronekit.APIException: Timeout in initializing connection.

Steps taken:
I’ve attempted to reinstall mavlink and mavproxy. I’ve also checked if arducopter is running correctly which it seems to be when using sudo systemctl status arducopter.

I’m not entirely sure where I’m going wrong, I’m assuming it’s something to do with my connection setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Andrew,

Would you mind describing your step-by-step actions for running the dronekit?

Also, may I ask you if you have contacted the dronekit support in regard to this issue?

Hi,

I managed to solve the issue, it was mainly down to my poor understanding I ended up just connecting to the drone via the drone’s ip address from my gcs.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the update! Good to know everything work for you now :slightly_smiling_face:

We’ve released the new image that solves the Dronekit connection issues. You can check out all of the details in this community forum thread: